Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear from my fellow sportsman on the age old question wait for it Setting it up Why is it that some Lakes produce a lot of crappie that have no size 6 to 7 in Quantity not quality were as other produce both I can go from one lake and catch 30 10 to 13 in crappie and drive 3 miles and catch 30 no bigger then 6 in

and the lakes the one that produces large crappie they drop the water the other constant water levels

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think lakes cycle, east fork when built in the mid 70s took almost 25 years for the crappie populations to get up to size and then faded again and now is good again … my home lake is lake Waynoka for a while you couldn't catch a crappie but when you did it would be a monster then around 2000-2006 you could catch 100 a day between 10 and 12 inches then again it went cold for a few years now is good again... I agree fishing pressure food and competition from other fish affect but ultimately mother natures timing in the spring affects spawn which ultimately affects the number of fish in that particular year class

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forage base,spawning habitat,fishing pressure and lake size.

Mic drop
pick the mic up lmbo used to have a lot of fishing pressure but past two years a drop due to size people stopped fishing as much sometimes lake is all to my self water levels stay constant and good size lake all the others fair to average appreciate your input on this lake seems as if it has it all ???

Reactions: Karl Wolf

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think lakes cycle, east fork when built in the mid 70s took almost 25 years for the crappie populations to get up to size and then faded again and now is good again … my home lake is lake Waynoka for a while you couldn't catch a crappie but when you did it would be a monster then around 2000-2006 you could catch 100 a day between 10 and 12 inches then again it went cold for a few years now is good again... I agree fishing pressure food and competition from other fish affect but ultimately mother natures timing in the spring affects spawn which ultimately affects the number of fish in that particular year class
agree on cycle Walborn is a good example of that drained back in the 90's took years to rebound but it rebounded this lake has always had dinks just trying to figure out why may never know lol

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Could be overpopulation as they spawn when they reach two years old. That’s a lot of eggs being deposited into the lake as everything bigger will be spawning too. Some or most of those two year olds are only seven inch fish so you have little ones making little ones. If no one is keeping them, that leaves a lot of stunted fish in the lake.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be overpopulation as they spawn when they reach two years old. That’s a lot of eggs being deposited into the lake as everything bigger will be spawning too. Some or most of those two year olds are only seven inch fish so you have little ones making little ones. If no one is keeping them, that leaves a lot of stunted fish in the lake.[/Quote
you get a a+ passed the fishing course 101

·
fishfinder1
277 Posts
I agree with Chaunc. If I'm not mistaken, 1 female crappie can lay a million eggs over 1 or 2 spawning cycles, now just multiply that by crappie numbers. What are the best features of the good crappie lakes in this region? Is it a good predator to prey ratio? correct me If I'm wrong but were the crappie sizes better when saugeyes, walleyes, and other predators were stocked in these lakes?
Could be overpopulation as they spawn when they reach two years old. That’s a lot of eggs being deposited into the lake as everything bigger will be spawning too. Some or most of those two year olds are only seven inch fish so you have little ones making little ones. If no one is keeping them, that leaves a lot of stunted fish in the lake.

·
Angry hillbilly
1,410 Posts
Bottom line every lake has different ecosystems and each have to be managed to help it or to protect the fisheries! Much of what was said on the this post are correct! Hear is a ? How many on here fish more then a one lake or just a few? I fish all the biggest waters in northeast Ohio that including Erie! Some people call a good crappie a good crappie and I might say that’s ok! Right now squitter to me is the worst for overall size since the creation of the 9in limit! U can get your feel of 8.5 to 9.5in craps know doubt but 1lb plus are far and few between! I think those fish are growing slower or not as thick! They had one hell of spawn class! Lakes I fish Arthur , Berlin , Erie ,Milton pymy, shennago , West branch. Erie pa to the western basin is where I fish Erie. That is crappie fishing! I fish other Ohio lakes but not as much as these! With pressure so high I will not rank them sorry!

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I have always heard(since a youngster) that crappie populations and size "cycle" every three years. I assume that means you have two decent years, then a Bad one. Reading just abt everything I can abt crappie seems to bare this out. Never heard what factors are behind this theory but have come to feel that a bad spawn year, and/or lack of forage are the most important "cause and effects". I am confident that "no limit" regulations on lakes that have too many smallish crappie are sound and working. Reducing numbers can only have a positive effect(common sense!) since fewer numbers means more food available for remnants!
Wingfoot is a good example. Years ago, when the lake was run by Goodyear, you could catch 8-9" black crappie(fat with "shoulders") all day long and with some real slabs thrown in(I once caught a 15.5" Black crappie-see avatar pic). I attributed that to reasonably heavy fishing pressure by GTR employees, the couple boat accesses at bait shops, and an abundance of shoreline fishermen. Goodyear closed the park, bait shops closed up, fishing very limited for many years produced an over population of stunted "dinks". Since the state took over and implemented "no limits" on crappie, they seem to be getting better quality fish there. Slot limits on bass and stocking another predator(cats) has helped some as well. JMO!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just curious some thoughts from others.

What is good forage for crappie?

What is good spawning habitat?

I fish a small lake/ large pond that gets a good amount of pressure form novice fishermen. It is a large oval that is spring fed and has abundant weeds. It is 20-25 feet deep and has some nice crappie, but not in abundance. Tons of small gills with some keepers. Some real nice bass and some huge channels.

Any thoughts on why so few crappie?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Even though you said "thoughts from others", my first reaction(from your description of the "large pond, small lake") is that it's "too clean", little or no good crappie spawning habitat! My mental image is of a small lake with no blowdowns, likely surrounded by "bedroom community" housing with nice mowed lawns surrounding the shoreline?! Crappie(unlike some other species), need "wood". Likely, the"other" species are eating up their needed forage as well.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have always heard(since a youngster) that crappie populations and size "cycle" every three years. I assume that means you have two decent years, then a Bad one. Reading just abt everything I can abt crappie seems to bare this out. Never heard what factors are behind this theory but have come to feel that a bad spawn year, and/or lack of forage are the most important "cause and effects". I am confident that "no limit" regulations on lakes that have too many smallish crappie are sound and working. Reducing numbers can only have a positive effect(common sense!) since fewer numbers means more food available for remnants!
Wingfoot is a good example. Years ago, when the lake was run by Goodyear, you could catch 8-9" black crappie(fat with "shoulders") all day long and with some real slabs thrown in(I once caught a 15.5" Black crappie-see avatar pic). I attributed that to reasonably heavy fishing pressure by GTR employees, the couple boat accesses at bait shops, and an abundance of shoreline fishermen. Goodyear closed the park, bait shops closed up, fishing very limited for many years produced an over population of stunted "dinks". Since the state took over and implemented "no limits" on crappie, they seem to be getting better quality fish there. Slot limits on bass and stocking another predator(cats) has helped some as well. JMO!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Even though you said "thoughts from others", my first reaction(from your description of the "large pond, small lake") is that it's "too clean", little or no good crappie spawning habitat! My mental image is of a small lake with no blowdowns, likely surrounded by "bedroom community" housing with nice mowed lawns surrounding the shoreline?! Crappie(unlike some other species), need "wood". Likely, the"other" species are eating up their needed forage as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Pretty accurate mental image. Not surrounded by houses, but you are right no blowdowns.

I think they sink some Christmas trees occasionally. What type of forage to crappie need?

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts