close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Something COOL to see...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Big Daddy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Hey gang, the ODNR sent us this. Something you don't get to see every day. If anyone here goes, let us know how it went!!! Oh yeah, take some pictures too!

BALD EAGLE TO BE RELEASED
    Rehabilitated eagle to be released at Atwood Lake dam

AKRON, OH - An injured bald eagle captured at Atwood Lake in early August will be released back into the wild on Saturday, September 4th, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.

"This is an adult male bald eagle who had fishing line wrapped tightly around its wing, disabling it from flight," explains Tom Henry, wildlife management assistant supervisor. "Atwood Lake staff first saw the eagle and did the right thing by calling the ODNR Division of Wildlife right away. Once it was safely caught, we immediately handed it over to the Medina Raptor Center for rehabilitation," added Henry.

Since 1979 - when only four bald eagle pairs were found in the state - the division has helped reestablish Ohio's eagle population through habitat development and protection, fostering of young eagles, and extensive observation of eagle nesting behavior. The population has now grown to an estimated 54 nesting bald eagle pairs and over 100 eaglets hatching in 2004.

The ODNR Division of Wildlife's work with bald eagles is funded through the sale of the bald eagle license plate. Proceeds from the sale of this plate are devoted to acquisition of land, management, and study of the bald eagle. To purchase the bald eagle license plate, contact your local deputy registrar or call the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 1/888-PLATES3.

Additional funding for bald eagle restoration is derived from contributions to the Wildlife Diversity and Endangered Species Fund through a check-off on the Ohio state income tax form.

The release will occur at 9:00 am on Saturday, September 4th on the Atwood Lake dam. This event is open to the public.

2. Thats exactly why they should make fishing line that disolves in water. :eek: :eek:

Seriously, I hate it when low lifes unspool in the field and just leave it there. There are a lot of places that I fish that have line all over the place laying on the ground. Just bunch it up and stick it in your pocket...you won't even know it's there.

3. Although that may sound like a good idea, It wouldn't be good if you had a big fish on and your line dissolved from being in the water for the day. Even if you put the reel away after a day of fishing, it would start dissolving with the water still on it. In reality it probably wouldn't work. Just my opinion.

4. monsterKAT11

monsterKAT11 Team Fatty

i think he was being sarcastic i may be wrong.

5. Maybe if they made it out the same stuff pasta is made from (whatever that is) Nah, probably have to much starch in it and the fish would all get FAT....Hey, wait a minute :eek: :eek: ;)

6. Sounds like a good idea for a wilderness survival kit. :)

7. :D :D Yeah, if you can't catch any fish....eat your line :eek:

8. catking

catking Banned

People who leave spooled line laying around should be taken to the gallows. This one action is probably the worst thing anybody can do to the outdoors. It takes a real idiot to do that. CATKING

9. Man don't even get me started on the amount of trash left behind by fisherman, but we're not much better if we just walk by complaining and not picking any of it up. speaking of eagles, just to see how far they've come, i saw one sitting on a tree off 75 perching over a small farm pond around findlay the other day. I'm used to seeing them all the time around the lake (saw 9 in about 10 minutes last fall) but never that far away, that close to people, and on that small of a pond. I'm pretty sure i saw an osprey around north baltimore the other day as well. now all i need to see is a cougar....lol

10. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Alot of people talk about the people who leave trash behind and how mad it gets them but how many people actually do something about it?
    Not many.
    We had a Mosquito causeway cleanup this past February and how many show up? The two who organized it, their neighbor and myself. That's it.
    How many showed up at the Nimisila cleanup this year? A big ZERO other than myself.
    I found in life alot of people talk, few do...

11. I take an empty plastic grocery bag with me everytime i go fishing, and it usually comes back full of other peoples trash. Many times i will have the full bag and a handful of loose empty cans or bottles or bait containers besides. I am a firm believer in "leave it better than you found it".
    Huntinbull

12. There is an old Buckskinner saying, "Leave nothing behind except your foot prints".
    I totally agree with Lewzer. I have not been in good health this year, but now I am feeling better. Lewzer the next time you have a clean-up, pm me, I will be there.