close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

someone who knows want to help???

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by williambauman, Apr 23, 2005.

1. I have a 16' Glasspar open bow tri hull boat with a 1978 Johnson 85hp motor. I know my way around a car motor but boats are different. It cranks but won't start. I am getting 95 psi in all 4 cylinders. Not getting any spark. Best I can tell I am getting juice to the powerpacks but none after. At least when I trace the wires with a test light that's what I figure. What I propose is if someone out there knows a thing or two about boat motors but doesn't have a boat of their own come over help me get this thing running and we will become fishing partners. I would really like to get htis thing in the water. Not the Ohio river but like to go in the lakes with it. Anyway if anyone has any input on the subject It would be appreciated.

2. does it have the safty switch on it

3. don't know about the safety switch. don't know what it looks like so I don't know if it has one or not. About the coil (jason) the wires I traced go to the powerpacks then from the powerpacks to the coil so since there is no juice after the powerpacks I don't know if the coils are good or not. I know that the ting ran last year because we had it out then got the boat out when weather started breaking and can't get it started. It did start running poorly at end of last season felt like it lost its power. Thats why I did the compression check.

4. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The kill switch should be on the throttle box. Usually a lanyard is hooked to it, but it could have been removed. If it is tripped you will get no spark.

5. There is no kill switch on my throttle box.

6. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

I had a 50 hp 1978 merc, that did the same thing. My problem was the kill switch. Some how i bumped it and it was disconnected. I took it to my boat mechanic and he showed me what had happened, where it was located, and explained to me why the motor wouldn't start. I had that boat for 9 years at that time and never knew that could happen. So take a really good look for that little switch. I hope thats the only problem you have.

7. when the weather gives me a break I will scour the boat for the kill switch. I hope that is what it is. Sounds better than a couple hundred for new powerpacks...

8. Spend $30.00 on a manual first. The Seloc manuals have detailed instructions for troubleshooting the ignition systems on Johnson outboards. With the proper manual and knowing what ignition type you have you will be able to determine whether the problem is with your power pack, stator, or somewhere else.

9. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

ncraft sure knows about tripping spark plugs. lol

10. I think I will get a manual before I buy any parts. Don't want to waste the little money I work hard for.

11. crappiebub

crappiebub Justcrazy's Guide!

Try the library first if you don't want to buy one. Have gotten one there several times to help someone. T