Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years I’ve just caught chubs, shiners, and bluegills on a small hook and it really isn’t an issue, I just want to give this a try. Just wanted to know the basics. I know you can’t keep bass, bluegill, or game fish if you catch them in one. I’ll only be using it in a creek mostly to try to catch suckers. I’m pretty sure there’s some regulation to the size of the net and/or the size of the holes in them? Any suggestions on where to buy one? I was going to check a few places this week after work but I’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
STX 206 Viper
1,873 Posts
Start with a small net, 5 or 6 ft, and practice a lot. There are plenty of YouTube videos to show you how to do it. Watch those and practice a lot. The best video I found was a kid, maybe 12, throwing off of a dock or maybe a public pier. Video was only a couple minutes long but his instructions were clear and easy to follow. Then practice a lot

Reactions: MIGHTY

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I got one from Walmart not the best but it works remember a 3' net is actually 6' across when open it tells you in the fishing regs what size is allowed on the mesh size

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Betts Old Salt cast nets are what I use. I still can’t throw my 6’er properly after 25 years. A 3 or 4’er would work fine.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
Oh. When you tear the net on underwater snags, save the lead. Makes good jigs or weights. Old rebar will get you every time.

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
:(;):(The higher you are off the surface of the water, the easier it is to get a good spread.
Bridges are the best place to get shad. Find the lakes with the baitfish you want and cast from the bridges. Shad are what I go after and I usually get what I need in the fall for the next year. Also the bridges would explain why I get rebar more than most do.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
the best way i've found to get shad is at night with a light. i get mine out of a boat by pulling up in bays and shining the light close to the boat. when the shad come to the top i cast my net. never needed but one good cast to get more than i could use.

i used a 4' for many yrs. and unless you have a teacher i recommend a 4' to begin with. then i bought a custom made 6' with lessons down in fl. she taught me how to throw the 6' or i'd still be trying.

·
pro poker player
511 Posts
:(;):(The higher you are off the surface of the water, the easier it is to get a good spread.
Bridges are the best place to get shad. Find the lakes with the baitfish you want and cast from the bridges. Shad are what I go after and I usually get what I need in the fall for the next year.
roflmfao!!!!!

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I really just want it to try to catch suckers and maybe small carp for catfish bait.
if suckers and carp are your targets i would use the biggest holes allowed by law. the bigger the mesh the faster the net sinks. now for smaller fish like shad the smaller mesh is better.

for casting a net you want to square up with your left foot towards the bait. bring the net around behind you, as the weights come around start your cast, with a good spin on the net let go. you want to watch a few different videos to learn how to hold the net so it opens. if your getting figure eights you need more spin on the net.

a boat deck is great for throwing a net. i have caught mullet down in fl standing waist deep with my 4' net. but the 6' i got didnt work so good. it was better on level ground or higher places.

·
Registered
945 Posts
For years I’ve just caught chubs, shiners, and bluegills on a small hook and it really isn’t an issue, I just want to give this a try. Just wanted to know the basics. I know you can’t keep bass, bluegill, or game fish if you catch them in one. I’ll only be using it in a creek mostly to try to catch suckers. I’m pretty sure there’s some regulation to the size of the net and/or the size of the holes in them? Any suggestions on where to buy one? I was going to check a few places this week after work but I’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I’ve got a 6’ that I use in the back bays of Hatteras and Ocracoke to catch mullet minnows. Years ago I watched some of the locals cast nets up to 15’ with accuracy. An old timer showed me a few tricks. He put a beer can in the sand and I spent hours trying to land a wide open, 6’ net over the can. It wasn’t easy but little by little I started to get the hang of it. The key is in the release. If you release the net in a ball it will land in a ball. You want it to leave your hands so it fans out wide open. All I can say is practice, practice, practice. It’s like riding a bike. Once you get it you’ll never forget it. Hopes this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^yep that’s what I gathered even before sitting down to watch videos. It’s all in the release

1 - 16 of 16 Posts