close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Somebody needs to go on a diet!

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by acklac7, Aug 7, 2007.

1. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Even by Flathead standards, this girl is OBESE!

[​IMG]

Well I braved the SICKENING conditions last night in search of S-eye. At first I thought "nothing is worth being out in this" (My shirt was soaked w/sweat within 15min). However 20 min later there was a smile on my face, and a beast on the end of my line!

I was throwing one of my "orange sparkle" hand-pours with a 1/16th head: She BLASTED it! My drag went singing as the beast immediately bolted towards deeper water (the whole time the "left side" is thinking "it's a carp, you snagged a monster carp..while the right side is arguing "it hit it!...the bleeping thing smashed it!)

After what had to be at least 10min I got her in, snapped a few pics, and set her free (after a good bit of submerged TLC I might add) All in all it was a riot on 8lb test, thank GOD I switched over to my 6'6 MH tonight; I needed all the backbone I could get!

All in all you Flathead guys should really start throwing artificials! This marks is the 3rd Flatty I've got on artificials: 2 on jigs, one on a crank. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, like a beast flathead hammering a jig while it's on the drop! (I've actually had suspected flatheads strip drag on the strike alone...unbelievable)

Next stop lower Scioto with my Heavy action outfit and some HUGE jigs..I want to know what a 40lb hit feels like :D

BTW anyone care to guess the weight? Im thinking 25-30lbs maybe?

2. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

WOW,what a fish, and I like your half awake smirk on your face, like your DAZED! I would be. It was hot yesterday, but it looks like you had a blast, congrats!
    Mike

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

nice fish.and they are a blast when caught like that.it's not too uncommon,as you mentioned.awhile back,i posted a pic of a 50 pounder caught by my cousin while fishing for saugeyes on the same size gear and same type bait.one of several he and his dad catch every year while saugeye fishing.
    did you get a measurement?looks to be possibly a little over 30 inches.it's a fatty for sure,but hard to guesstimate.but your estimate sounds close.maybe 20-25.i would think it's a post spawn fish.if so,that thing must have 10 pounds of shad in it's gut:D

4. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I didn't have a chance to get a measurement, as my first thought was to get a pic asap (I had to walk a considerable distance upstream in order to have somone take the pic). I considered going back for my measuring tape, but figured the poor beast had been through enough already: the last thing I wanted to do was end "her" life b/c I wanted to get a measurement (or mounted for that matter) ;)... I wish everyone had the same mindset...CPR for life!

5. Wow...nice job. I see fishslim also tangled with a flattie yesterday. Why are they so active right now?

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my guess is they are making up for starving themselves during the spawning period;)

7. picktowndad

picktowndad share the joy of fishin

WOW !!! MY what a fish. We were at alum last night son hooked a monster channel cat fishin for crappie,but it didnt hold a candle to that one. Great job.

8. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I agree with misfit, they are likely trying to replenish the fat that they burnt off during the spawn. The guys that took the pic also caught one that went 10-15lbs

9. great picture! I am only worried about your 3 fingers on your right hand...

10. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

LOL..took me a second! :D And yea, I had my fingers bent! (although it doesn't look like it in the pic)

11. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. Throwing lures for cats seem to work well lol. Micro got his first cat bass fishing, it hit a grub on a jig head. A few years back me and my dad was talking to a guy who was fishing for cats but was throwing spinners. He said he had landed a couple.

12. That's a great fish and a great fish story with evidence. Glad she's back in the deeps. Hope the next guy who catchers her is as CPR'r as well.

13. Heck of a fish...Im floored when I hook into a 6 or 8lb carp when Im not expecting it...I can only imagine what that thing was like.

14. What a great day for the jig fishermen!!:D Great Catch as well A.J. You are always busy with some kind of quality fish!! I am with you i have had many big flats on on jigs and when they it it rattles your teeth!! Would have never got this on in without Newbreed in boat my net is not very big and it took everything he could do to get her in it!! Time for new net.!! Good luck on that fourty pounder!! I say try orange chartruese mix tail about 4" on 1/8th ounce jig should do the trick!!;)

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

troy,here's a 50# caught on 1'8 ounce jig,8 pound test:D

[​IMG]

16. Now Thats A beast!! See Acklac i was right 1/8th ounce jig orange and chartruese mix Almost Yellow!:D I see why the cat boys are addicted to them what a adventure!! Wheels Creek used to fish there in younger years great fishing there. Hope heat breaks soon Rick so you can get out more.

17. Mr. Basskisser

Mr. Basskisser Hard Core Fishing Fool!

That had to be a pleasant surprise. By the looks of that belly that thing must have been just swimming along engulfing everything it could! Awesome!!

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that's my cousin with the fish.he also has a 10 pound saugeye on his wall beside his dad's 10 1/2,both from the same place.
    i hope to get out friday and/or saturday.late night/early morning.,troy.just can't do this heat:(

19. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

AJ, Sorry if I missed it....but did you get that fish above Greenlawn or south of it? Oh and, NICE FISH!

20. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

North of Greenlawn, suprisingly...