close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some stupid questions

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Stampede, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

In my 50yrs,i've not gone fishing in the winter.So the questions are,what do you fish for.Cats,bass,crappie.bluegill?How are you fishing for them,bait,style etc.And i've been seeing boats being towed.I usually winterize mine and it sits till the weather warms up.But i figure you can take it out as long as you put the motor down to let the water out.Right? Seeing others talk about fishing ,i'm going out this weekend maybe to stonelick since eastfork is flooded,at least i guess it still is.Even if it's just to sit and watch a pole do nothing so i'm looking for tips.Thanks

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I think most people that are not ice-fishing, fish spillways in the winter. I dont do that well fishing in the winter myself, but can usually get some saugeye or crappie to bite. As for cats, I have seen some being caught at paint creek and I think they were useing nightcrawlers.

3. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

LOL- just razzin' a bit. I get the fever something awful by about now and look for the littlest reason to go splash. A 50° day, sun, anything and I start itching to hit the water.

Cats will bite all through the winter- Deer Creek spillway has a healthy population of channels that are happy to indulge you. I've caught bluegills and bass in ponds working baits very slowly around cover. Plus, there's always the Mad River up north- groundwater fed and always stays around 57° all year. You can fish that for trout anytime in the upper 10 miles or so.

My only qualm is that I HATE the cold. If my hands and ears are cold, I'm miserable.

UFM82

Likes 75° and sun...

4. Doctor

Doctor CJ Cat Attack Pack

I do most of mine on the Ohio and the Cumberland river, so far this year I'm on a major high with a big fish. Winter fishing takes a little more patience, they really don't get in a big hurry, Shad and Skipjack are our main baits of choice for Catfish.

The cold can be brutal but if you dress correctly for it is a lot of fun, when you get on a major bite you won't even notice the cold.

A word of caution and I'm very cautious while on the river, but I just learned this from a friend of mine that contacted me the other night, if the ramps are just a wee bit on the muddy side go back home, have never thought about it as I have launched when there is mud on the ramp and have never had a problem, but Rick said he was launching at Eagle creek last weekend, thin coat of mud on the ramp, backed his truck down to where the back of the boat was in the water put the truck in park, locked down the emergency brake got out to unhook the front of the boat from the trailer and watched the truck slide right down into the water on a thin layer of mud and watched it disappear into the creek, that would be heartbreaking, so now I really will watch my launching techniques from here out. I always take a good look at the ramps before I launch but just never really thought of a thin mud line as being slippery as ice. Feel sorry for the guy, he said it was tough watching the divers, firetrucks and wreckers in action, that would ruin it for me.

5. Dang that stinks,must have been a real sad day for him!That is one of the times when it realy helps to have 4wd.If you set your park brk it is only holding the rear wheels.If you have it in 4wd the drive train is locked together whitch means all 4 wheels are holding with the park brk on.Again what a BUMMER :(

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

That would really suck.I'm sorry for your friend.That's something to look out for all year long.Neaver thought of that.I guess with the river coming up and down like it does this time of year it's more of a problem there.
    I know people ice fish.Never done it myself.Since i've never fished this time of year i didn't know what will bite.I guess the trick is fishing slow,real slow.How would you fish for cats.Dead line in deep water,move it every so often?And what depth will i find bluegill.Man i'd sure like to have a little mess of bluegill.Yum Yum