close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

some recent meals

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by EE, Feb 8, 2009.

1. EE

EE

Here are a few meals I've had at my house recently. I'm trying to find different ways of fixing walleye (and saugeye) without having to deep fry it, although I have to say the deep frier is still my favorite way of fixing it.

Here is a pan full of walleye filets (before they went into the oven) that we soaked in milk, dipped in egg, rolled in a mix of panko bread crumbs & a coating called "baking miracle", and a bunch of spices. tasted pretty good, but we'll add more spice next time.
    [​IMG]

here is what we simply call 'fish soup'. it's an offshoot of my wife's chicken soup. PM me if you want the recipe.
    [​IMG]

this is some pan seared walleye, mixed into a serving of Knorr (formerly Lipton) Mushroom and Rice. quick and easy, probably my favorite (I love rice and mushrooms).
    [​IMG]

2. Looks delicious.

My new favorite way to prepare walleye & saugeye is boiled. If you like asian style cooking you'll love this one. It's quick and easy too.

1 pkg fresh mushrooms - sliced
    1 can chicken broth
    1 can stewed tomatoes
    1 bell pepper sliced into strips
    1 sml pkg raw shrimp - peeled, deveined & thawed
    1 lb walleye fillets cut into 1/2" cubes
    1/2 cup white wine
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Frank's hot sauce
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
    4 cups hot cooked rice

Heat mushrooms and broth to boiling in a 3 quart sauce pan.
    Stir in remaining ingredients except cilantro or rice.
    Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 7 minutes or until shrimp are pink & firm. Stir in cilantro right before serving. Serve in bowls over rice.

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

fried is my favorite too,but i also like a change now and then.broiled,baked or steamed.though i'm not crazy about fish dishes with tomato,that soup looks good.i've been getting a taste for some chowder lately,and might have to thaw some crappie filets soon.used to make fish chowder when my kids were growing up(many years ago)and they loved it.kept a pot on top of the wood stove all day sometimes,so they could help themselves:)

4. man that all looks good. what is this "baking miracle" stuff all about????

5. EE - my dad makes a dish similar to the soup you included there. He also adds shrimp. Try that sometime.

6. EE

EE

Rick, got your P.M., I'll give you a shout (or return your P.M. tonight)! There's some tomato juice in that soup, but no tomato sauce or tomato chunks.

Terry, I'll give it a shot at some point. I've never tried boiled fish so I can't knock it.... it may end up a regular for me!

Boatnut, Baking Miracle is just an ordinary, grocery shelf seasoning mix. I like to mix it 50/50 with other things (sometimes saltine crackers, sometimes Panko bread crumbs, etc.). I grind up the crackers/bread crumbs with a rolling pin so they are of the same consistency as the seasoning mix, then I mix it all up in a bowl.

jc, I'll definitely try the shrimp added in.... one of my favorites and I never thought to add that in..... I bet this soup and shrimp will accentuate each other well.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

thanks eric.i can do tomato juice:D;)
    and adding shrimp can only make it better:)
    that was my first thought when i saw that soup.
    sounds like i need to go shopping again:D

8. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

decided to try the fish soup.i made a couple minor modifications,but i must say,this is some good stuff.i'm not big on rice,so i cut it to 1 cup instead of 2.
    in place of the salsa,corn and beans,i found a black bean/white corn salsa at walmart.i did add some extra corn,since i wanted more than what was in the salsa.
    i also added 1/2 cup of small scallops.
    tossed in a few shakes of old bay and mrs. dash seasoning.

[​IMG]