Some Good Fish Breading

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by littlestick52, May 20, 2008.

1. i was just wondering if anyone had a secret recipe that they would like to give out that would be good for breading some fish. last year when i had some fish i just did the old breading tradition in my family of using cracker crums. and let me tell you im kind of getting sick of just the old cracker crums even though its my go to breading in the long run. well any help would help thanks!!!!

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

mix 50/50 flour and seasoned bread crumbs(you'll find in box at grocery store)
    add seasoned salt,pepper,old bay to taste.
    i've made this for years and never get tired of it.light coating that doesn't overpower the fish.
    cornmeal can be substituted for bread crumbs for a little crispier crust and is also very tasty.

3. I like the 50/50 flour to cornmeal, but the seasoning is where you make a breading.

I use:
    lawry's seasoning salt
    lawry's pepper
    chili powder
    cayenne.

A crowd pleaser, but we like the heat at home. My 5 year old son asks me to make the fish with the red flakes in it ( home grown cayenne powder). We start them young on the sauce!! good luck.

4. This is a pretty light tasting batter, we use it for mushrooms, onion rings and tempura. Here it is : 1 1/2 cups flour
    1 T. oil
    1 tsp. salt
    1 egg
    1 beer, less 1 small swallow,:p
    Garlic powder is optional but tastes good in it too, just not too much.

Combine all dry ingredients mix well, add almost all of the beer, you want a thick pancake consistency type of batter. It will thin a little as you add damp fish. Put enough beer in it to make it as thick or thin as you like. If you double the recipe, I cut the salt to 1/2 tsp extra. A double batch will coat 5 lbs of fish easily. This tastes like sweet corn flakes when using "BUD SELECT " ;) Give it a try, as I said make it a little thick and deep fry your fish on about 360-375', You will like it and it's easy. Mike

5. I don't think that's the proper ingredients. ;) I always thought beer batter required a minimum of 2 beers. One for the batter and atleast one for the "chef". :D That's atleast the way I always do it. All these sound good. Now if I could wrangle a few fish for the freezer to cook up. :(

I've had Misfit's breading and it is very good.

6. these breadings sound very good and i cant wait to go and get some fish out of the freezer and try them!!! well since im not old enough to drink ill just have to have one beer for the recipe:( and thanks again for the recipes