close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

some flathead help

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fshnfreak, Jul 22, 2007.

1. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

ok im from nw ohio where flatheads arent that common in my home waters. this local quarry i bass fish on a regular basis has flatheads in it and i have caught several by surprise while bass fishing at night. nothing rediculously huge but 15lbs is my personal best caught him on a senko at night u can prolly imagine i was thinkin oh my god i have a state record largemouth on the end of my line. but any way ill cut to the chase. the bass fishing has been really slow for me this year and i would like to start targeting some of these flatheads. my question is what type of areas should i target, type of bait (i am guessing the main forage is gills since theres a crapload of em in there), and a good all around live bait rig for these flatheads. the bottom composition seems to be rather weedy alot of coontail grass in shallow areas and pretty much a very rocky bottom in the deeper spots. i only have limited shore access. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance. i figured theres probably quite a few flathead enthusiasts in your neck of the woods.

2. lol, I can only imagine the deposit I would leave in my pants of I were bass fishing at night, and a 15LB flathead jumped on my lure ( Thinking record books here I come lol ). During the day time the flatheads will be cruising the bottoms of the deep rocky area you were talking about. And flatheads ( though they will bite in the day time ) are mainly nocturnal, and do most of their feeding at night. And at night, they will come in to the weedbeds, because thats where the blue gills hang out ( for cover ).
    My advice is: Go there in the early day time and catch a few gills ( and keep them alive ). And go back at night time, and fish them under a big slip bobber ( Just hovering the Gill above the weeds ). If you caught a 15LBer on accident, I'd bet money there are some in there over 20-25LBs.
    * Goodluck, and keep me posted *

PS: If you want to fish them during the day time, try freshly cut blue gill, fished in the deep, rocky bottom parts of the lake.

Matt

3. I would target log jams or the edge of a channel. For flatheads live bait is needed. The best are live bluegills, creek chubs, or skipjack. Ronnie

4. i agree and also would like to add... find where the "true" eastern side of the lake is and fish it at night after a day of good southwest/western winds. i grew up fishing pay-lakes, they are nothing but old gravel pits and those areas seem to be the most consistant producers. also, if it is really deep (30ft plus) and has good springs/clear water you probably wont have to worry about the thermoclime stratifying the water and will be able to fish bottom at night as well without your bait dying. if its private and not withing DNR juristiction take a boatload of rods and put as many lines out as possible covering all the bases. good luck

5. fshnfreak

fshnfreak I fish therefore I am!!

i appreciate all the good advice guys thanks. it is a privately owned deal but heres the catch at one time it was stocked by the state. so the owner told me thats why he has to let so many ppl fish every year. by law hes required to have his quarry fished by so many man hours not sure on that number. he also told me that the flatties are newer addition to the quarry they have only been there since about 1992. and when they were stocked there approximately 30 flatties put in ranging from 5- 15 lbs. so i bet there are some maybe pushin 40 lbs by now.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Fish under a float with live gills, expecially if the vegitation is bad. I too am from Northern Western Ohio (Shelby) I use to be in to bass fishing, since there wasn't much else to catch up that way. Then I moved in Southern Ohio and now I'm hooked on flatheads. I don't fish for bass unless it's smallies or going out on someone elses boat. Careful, ya might get the bug :D

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think everyone in SW OH has caught the bug, the bad thing is there are more catfishermen and fewer and fewer area of water and fewer and fewer fish!