Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Port Clinton News Hearald court section for those wondering what some of the punishments would be. Most got off rather easy in my humble opinion.

Dennis G. White, Beloit, Wis., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Duwayne Brockman, Boradhead, Wis., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.
Roger L. Costello, Roscoe, Ill., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Bradley S. fitz, Roscoe, Ill., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Dale R. Wecker, Roscoe, Ill., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Stephen G. Pizzolato, South Beloit, Ill., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Steven E. North, Loaves Park, Ill., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent.

Douglas P. Ferwerda, Beloit, Wis., overlimit walleye, $10 fine, $53 cost, case was waived by defendent

Brad E. Zent, Fort Wayne, Ind., overlimit walleye, $150 fine, $53 costs, 20 days in jail, all suspended on condition defendent remain law abiding and pay restitution in the amount of $40, defendent's fishing license is suspended for one year.

Gerald W. Rausch, Sheboygan, Wis., overlimit walleye, $150 fine, $53 costs, 20 days in jail, all suspended on condition defendent remain law abiding and pay restitution, defendent's fishing license is suspended for one year; overlimit walleye, $150 fine, $53 costs, 20 days in jail, all suspended on condition defendent remain law abiding and pay restitution in the amount of $40, defenden't fishing license is suspended for one year.

·
Registered
382 Posts
A $10 fine and $53 court costs seems a little low to me. A total of $63 isn't going to stop too many people form over-harvesting. What did the last few people do to get more of a sentence? Did they take more fish then the others did? Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Those fines are totally wrong in my opinion.:mad: That Judge should be written to by as many of us as possible to voice our feelings regarding his decision's. Anyone know his E-Mail or a way to get the message to him?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
These "penalties" are a joke imo.

Does anyone know, are the laws on poaching this weak or are the judges just not placing enough importance on the offense when they set the penaly?

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
It won't do any good to write the judge Shortdrift. What he did was give them the minimum conviction set by the state. You would have to contact the division of wildlife on that one. I'm pretty sure that went through Judge Haneys court and he runs about 100 people a day through there, mostly traffic violations and gets them in and out as fast as he can without dragging things out.

BTW, who's Foshpro?:)

·
Catcher of Fish
2,844 Posts
What a joke. They should've at least fined them enough to pay the warden's salaries who took part in the whole bust.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
That Judge should be written to by as many of us as possible to voice our feelings regarding his decision's. Anyone know his E-Mail or a way to get the message to him?

I've been working on verifying this information and getting the contact information for this judge.

We will as a group try and find some ways to turn up the heat in his kitchen. He is after all in an elected position.

I'll post the information as I get it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A snagged fish fine in the Maumee is more than that. What a joke. These people knew that they were breaking the law. I guess this isn't meant to scare others from wanting to attempt it. This only wasted the courts time. DNR really made out with these fines, it didn't even cover the cost of the officers time to write these people up. Were is the email address I am ready to fire one off.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
And we wonder why so many people break the game and fish laws. Not much incentive for lawbreakers to change their ways with those measly fines.

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
I've been working on verifying this information and getting the contact information for this judge.

We will as a group try and find some ways to turn up the heat in his kitchen. He is after all in an elected position.

I'll post the information as I get it.
Just contact the Port Clinton Municipal Court. I'll keep my eye on the local paper to see how far this goes.:D

·
Northcoast Madman
1,669 Posts
Before you guys form a lynch mob, let me just give you some info that I know about this judge. If you a re a tourist, you are going to get off scott free, like these guys did. If you are a friend of his, same deal, you ain't getting nothing. If you are a local and he knows you and don't like you, your getting hung. He dosen't give sentences how they should be given, he gives them how he sees fit. The mans been a Judge here for as long as I can remember, you have to remember, this is a small town, a parking lot for the lake, if you will, and even though he is an elected official, nobody has run against him and won...ever. Good luck heating up his kitchen.;)

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Maybe he figured that since the guys had bolstered the local economy by coming to PC and spending money on food, beer, gas, etc...they had already spent enough.

To hell with the river....next year I'm doing my poaching on the lake.

BFG

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
The fines posted are verifiable on the Ottawa courts website.

The judge is Frederick C. Hany II

Ottawa County Court
1860 E. Perry St.
Port Clinton, Ohio 43452

Clerks Office - 1-419-734-4143

State rep for that area.
Chris Redfern
614-644-6011
[email protected]

I will at a minimum at least make my personal displeasure known.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Who makes the law? Is it the state, ODNR or the judge that hears the case? I was once told the law was $85/fish over the limit and loss of all fish for the first offense and the second $85/fish and loss of all fish, equipment and license for 5 years.

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
i guess ottowa county does not want to discourage fisherman from spending time/money in the county. don't want to scare anyone away with stiff fines. in otherwords they almost condone overharvest? after paying high gas prices ito get there,it is almost worth the risk,eh??????

·
The Inferior Fisherman
2,644 Posts
I think the odnr should be ranting and raging on this one. Why should they bother to uphold the laws when the courts care more about the local economy than the laws themselves!! What a joke, 10 buck fine and costs!! Not good ammo for the commercial fleet. How can we police them if we can't police ourselves!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The fines and jail time for over-harvesting should be on par with shoplifting or any other petty theft. That is what they are essentially doing, stealing from everyone! They are taking something, due to creel or size limits, that doesn't belong to them. Thats how it should be treated and enforced. A $10 plus court costs is beyond laughable, its a disgrace.

Jake

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
this is hogwash..... i dont even know where to begin.....

i think some one should put a walleye carcus in his mail box....

never mind .. i just thought of the ramifications of that one......

i retract that statement...

c

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Maybe we need to send letters to the fisherman....Bet you could get a few of their addresses from the good old internet!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts