Ohio Game Fishing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Some comments on earlier "20 lb steelie" thread...

3K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Big Daddy 
#1 ·
Just checked out the post referenced in my title and it's closed (???).

Anyways, I think the pic is real. Some folks w/too much time didn't realize the following:

The "three fingers" are actually four...the fourth is just muddy and harder to see, but is crystal clear to me. The finger that "doesn't line up" doesn't look bad to me. Or could it be an injury? I have a very crooked pinkie finger that was formerly broken that I'll have to keep out of future pics I post or I'll get accussed of a "photoshop hack job", too!

Did it dawn on some of you that the mysterious "horizontal line" where the fish was reportedly "stretched" could be where line wrapped around the fish during the battle and rubbed off scales or discolored the fish there? If you haven't seen that on a fish from time to time you must not fish much. Or possibly an injury?

The proportions of the fish look fine to me for a typical LM buck and doesn't look stretched.

On a final note the fish is far from 20#...prob in the 14# range. And I've seen enough fish from 10# to 20# from outside Ohio to have a good degree of confidence in that interpretation. Still, a heck of a fish!

Seems like some of us have nothing better to do than rip apart a guy who was rightfully proud of a good fish and wanted to share on the site.

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like some of us have nothing better to do than rip apart a guy who was rightfully proud of a good fish and wanted to share on the site.
I've found that to be true on several occasions. That is why I try to post big fish as soon as possible after I catch them. The growth rate on fish after they are caught is unbelievable!:p

#3 ·
The growth rate on fish after they are caught is unbelievable!
i agree.as proof,i submit the 16 inch saugeyes we got yesterday weighed in at about 8 pounds each when i got home:B :D

#5 ·
I thought it was kind of funny, the guy that was most critical of the pic said he's a "graphic artist" and knows a fake when he sees one. The pic may or may not be real, I don't know, but, I remember during the season that almost every pic he posted on here of his catch was a monster fish. Hmm, now I wonder if those pics were real?

#6 ·
I thought it was kind of funny, the guy that was most critical of the pic said he's a "graphic artist" and knows a fake when he sees one. The pic may or may not be real, I don't know, but, I remember during the season that almost every pic he posted on here of his catch was a monster fish. Hmm, now I wonder if those pics were real?
Your funny. Care to join me fishing 1 day next year?

#8 ·
He man... I fish with Mepps all the time and considering his numbers which were prolly near 1k total for the season, then the 30 or so he posted pics on over ten pounds really was'nt that many fish. THEY ARE REAL BROTHER GET OVER IT.

T-BUG

#11 ·
If Mepps caught over 1,000 steel this year, he must not have a job...or he tosses some grenades in the river ;)
You can have a job and catch that many steelies, you just have to be able to get away from your job(like being the boss) and hitting the rivers when they are prime. Steelhead fishing is not as difficult as some people make it out to be.

#14 ·
Your funny. Care to join me fishing 1 day next year?
Thanks for the offer Mepps3, but there's no need to prove anything. I'm positive that you're much better then I fishing for chrome, considering I only have one season under my belt. Those were some nice fish that you posted on here this past season.

I just thought there was no reason to dissect Buggers pic like you did.
Real or fake, does it really matter.

#15 ·
Not trying to start trouble. But, when I was a kid and my brother and I would fish for bluegill with a bobber and a worm during the summer, there would be times that we caught so many that it actually got kinda boring. Throw the worm in seconds later you have a fish over and over etc. etc. I have to ask when you are catching that many steelhead does it ever get well...boring? I'd imagine a steelie fight is always exciting..Just curious if you ever feel like the challenge is gone?
Mean no disrespect by asking..just wonder.
Janus

#16 ·
Not trying to start trouble. But, when I was a kid and my brother and I would fish for bluegill with a bobber and a worm during the summer, there would be times that we caught so many that it actually got kinda boring. Throw the worm in seconds later you have a fish over and over etc. etc. I have to ask when you are catching that many steelhead does it ever get well...boring? I'd imagine a steelie fight is always exciting..Just curious if you ever feel like the challenge is gone?
Mean no disrespect by asking..just wonder.
Janus
NOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not taking sides here, but it is totally possible to land that many steel in a season if you were to fish multiple times a week. I've had days anywhere from getting :S to hooking close to 100 fish. You would probably have to own your own business or live with your parents, but it is possible.

#17 ·
He man... I fish with Mepps all the time and considering his numbers which were prolly near 1k total for the season, then the 30 or so he posted pics on over ten pounds really was'nt that many fish. THEY ARE REAL BROTHER GET OVER IT.

T-BUG
He man? Not I. Or was that supposed to be Hey man?
Never questioned the mans fishing skills or the number of fish he caught.
Thanks for helping me get over it brother.

#18 ·
NOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not taking sides here, but it is totally possible to land that many steel in a season if you were to fish multiple times a week. I've had days anywhere from getting :S to hooking close to 100 fish. You would probably have to own your own business or live with your parents, but it is possible.
I work next to Rocky and can fish before or after work. My job lets me flex my 40 hours at work during the week which allows me to fish at prime flows. I will fish from sunrise to sunset on the weekend when I can. I do not get bored catching a lot of steel.

#20 ·
Congrats on a great season. And, a lot of times you can't judge proper weight and size from a picture, so we have to rely on the word of the anglers who catch them.

Now, can we please go fishing? ;)

That's code for "this thread is just about reached the end of its usefullness" ;)

#21 ·
If Mepps caught over 1,000 steel this year, he must not have a job...or he tosses some grenades in the river ;)
Its not that hard to catch over 1k of steel a year.... me for one has done it so have many other steelhead guys i know on this site... theres has been many days of 40+ fish on the grand and conny... all it takes is alittle knowledge, reading, sampling differant things and watching the guys who do catch them to put double digit days in ur scap book!!!!!

#22 ·
Its not that hard to catch over 1k of steel a year.... me for one has done it so have many other steelhead guys i know on this site... theres has been many days of 40+ fish on the grand and conny... all it takes is alittle knowledge, reading, sampling differant things and watching the guys who do catch them to put double digit days in ur scap book!!!!!
I'm glad you said this, I was afraid I was going to be categorized as an over-exaggerator for agreeing with Mepps. :p No offense Mepps

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.