Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a cold morning and my fishing partner had to twist my arm and convince me to go fishing. I packed the quilted jeans, down coat with the Russian hat and I was ready to go. We arrived around 10:45 and already plenty of Walleye Brawlers were coming in with their limit. Went out to the Foghorn/wall and anchored(see attached pic). Didn’t see much on the fishfinder but based on previous success this was good spot.

For the first hour we got 3 perch. Decent size but too slow. Tried moving out to 47 ft. One perch in 20 minutes so we went back to the wall. Anchored a bit closer to the breakwall and started getting them. Fishing didn’t disappoint as it seemed each perch was huge. We must have caught 30-40 perch. What we kept was amazing. 16 of the 20 were over 12 inches. 8 of the 20 were Fish Ohios at 13+ (one was 14.25”). The last four of the bunch were all over 11 inches. Best “Trophy Perch” fishing we have ever seen.

Also what was a first in 25 years – all we caught was perch! Not a single little walleye, white bass or sheephead.

Food Ingredient Seafood Recipe Fish

Water Cloud Sky Lighthouse Boat

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nice haul there guys! Was out on the 13th and all we got was rain, snow, hail, and 3-4 ft waves!! :mad:
Cloud Water Sky Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
100 Posts
It was a cold morning and my fishing partner had to twist my arm and convince me to go fishing. I packed the quilted jeans, down coat with the Russian hat and I was ready to go. We arrived around 10:45 and already plenty of Walleye Brawlers were coming in with their limit. Went out to the Foghorn/wall and anchored(see attached pic). Didn’t see much on the fishfinder but based on previous success this was good spot.

For the first hour we got 3 perch. Decent size but too slow. Tried moving out to 47 ft. One perch in 20 minutes so we went back to the wall. Anchored a bit closer to the breakwall and started getting them. Fishing didn’t disappoint as it seemed each perch was huge. We must have caught 30-40 perch. What we kept was amazing. 16 of the 20 were over 12 inches. 8 of the 20 were Fish Ohios at 13+ (one was 14.25”). The last four of the bunch were all over 11 inches. Best “Trophy Perch” fishing we have ever seen.

Also what was a first in 25 years – all we caught was perch! Not a single little walleye, white bass or sheephead.

View attachment 479192

View attachment 479193
Dumb question but where is the foghorn/breakwall? Is that on the east side of the black river? Planning on heading up there tomorrow with Dad and my son. Would love to get some of those huge perch. We usually launch at the public ramp on west side of river.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dumb question but where is the foghorn/breakwall? Is that on the east side of the black river? Planning on heading up there tomorrow with Dad and my son. Would love to get some of those huge perch. We usually launch at the public ramp on west side of river.
There is an iron wall that is the farthest North of the river/harbour. It's just north of the old lighthouse building. Tomorrow should be a good bet. Try to stay close to the wall on the north side. We didn't mark much on the fishfinder unless we were within 50 ft of the wall. It's usually a popular spot with at least a few boats fishing the area. The west end of the wall seems more productive than the east end.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There is an iron wall that is the farthest North of the river/harbour. It's just north of the old lighthouse building. Tomorrow should be a good bet. Try to stay close to the wall on the north side. We didn't mark much on the fishfinder unless we were within 50 ft of the wall. It's usually a popular spot with at least a few boats fishing the area. The west end of the wall seems more productive than the east end.
Thanks for the reply and info. Will post how we do.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Went with Dad and my son yesterday to the lorain break wall. Didn't start fishing till 10:45 and fished till dark. Ended with 26 perch. Best grade of perch I think I have ever caught. Thank you Mirage for the advice on where to get them. We used that for our success. I haven't launched out of lorain for awhile. I guess I always noticed the light house and never paid attention to the foghorn.
Fish Seafood Cuisine Ray-finned fish Animal product
Smile Vertebrate Water Sky Cloud

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went with Dad and my son yesterday to the lorain break wall. Didn't start fishing till 10:45 and fished till dark. Ended with 26 perch. Best grade of perch I think I have ever caught. Thank you Mirage for the advice on where to get them. We used that for our success. I haven't launched out of lorain for awhile. I guess I always noticed the light house and never paid attention to the foghorn. View attachment 479320 View attachment 479321
Good deal. Probably not fast and furious but most likely enough to keep you engaged. Anything over 13 inches?

·
Angry hillbilly
1,449 Posts
Went with Dad and my son yesterday to the lorain break wall. Didn't start fishing till 10:45 and fished till dark. Ended with 26 perch. Best grade of perch I think I have ever caught. Thank you Mirage for the advice on where to get them. We used that for our success. I haven't launched out of lorain for awhile. I guess I always noticed the light house and never paid attention to the foghorn. View attachment 479320 View attachment 479321
Hey me and my buddy were out there didn’t mark really anything , no baitfish some fish on the bottom ! Were they tight to bottom ? We had frozen Minnie’s ! We took out then went for craps and did alright on craps

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good deal. Probably not fast and furious but most likely enough to keep you engaged. Anything over 13 inches?
Definitely not fast and furious. Get any where from 2 to 5 bites at a time then you would have to wait for them to come back through. Our smallest fish was 10 1/4 inches and our biggest was 14 1/2 inches. We had 15 from 10 1/4 inches to 12 inches. 7 were between 12 and 13 inches and 4 were over 13 inches. Ended up with 9 1/4 pounds of fillets and 2 1/2 pounds of eggs. Probably would have had closer to 10 pounds of fillets if we would have left the skin on. That amazed us to see how much meat came off those 26 perch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey me and my buddy were out there didn’t mark really anything , no baitfish some fish on the bottom ! Were they tight to bottom ? We had frozen Minnie’s ! We took out then went for craps and did alright on craps
We marked some fish when we first through out the anchor. Marks were on bottom through out the day but that didn't always translate into bites. Will say that the fish didn't want any jigging just kind of wanted it hanging there without any movement right at the bottom.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts