Solar battery chargers...

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by PhotoGuy513, Apr 23, 2008.

1. anybody use em?
    pros & cons?

2. They don't work very well. An onboard charger is the way to go.

3. Most solar chargers are less than 2 amp output. Better as a battery maintainer than a charger.

4. well i ment using then on a long fishing day after the batts have been fully charged overnight... to keep then from getting to low on a long day.

5. pizza

pizza

I had a panel on an old VW camper. It output 1.2 A in full sun and had a surface area of about 3 square feet. I used to run the battery down at night listening to my stereo and with a full day of sun, it gave me enough juice to start up my westphalia the next night. But that's about it.

To do what you want to do, you are looking at a solar panel impractically large for most boats and also pretty expensive. Mine was $150 but the price per amp output goes down as you buy bigger panels. And the output drops off pretty significantly if there isn't full sun.

So although I don't have experience with solar chargers in the marine world, my gut feeling tells me that what supercanoe and santa2ya are sayin is spot on.

If you are going on multi-day adventures in the middle of nowhere then a solar charger might be the ticket to give you enough juice to get started.

I just found the model I had. It was the model 1200. I would say you want the model 4000 as a bare minimum ($800). Having used this thing for 3 years, I got a chuckle out of reading the quite generous descriptions they give for all their panels. Reality is quite different than the theoretical #'s they get from a lab. Having said that, the panel served my purposes and enabled me to start my van in the middle of nowhere given a day of sun.

http://www.solarcharger.com/s.nl;js...3iKaNePch4Re34Pa38Ta38Taxj0?sc=2&category=114