sodium nitrite

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by truck, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Anybody know where to find this stuff around the cinci area ?Wanting to make jerky and it is recomended to put this in while making it.

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Try Krogers in Hyde Park Plaza they usually carry it but gets hard to find this time of year. Any of the super krogers should carry it too.
    Also, Murray Brothers in the Norwood shopping center use to carry it all the time...I'm not sure if they're still open though.

BTW...I'm refering to Morton's "Tender Quick".

Here's a link:
    http://www.theingredientstore.com/generalstore/product_details/830.htm

3. Thanks H n B just got back from Kroger in Marimont but did not know exacty what to look for:)

4. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Sodium Nitrate!????....

!@ Yeah, sure......makin' jerky.....ooookaaaay......!@

I believe the terror alert level just jumped up to fuscia!!!! :p:p

5. I DONT USE IT BUT DID A QUICK SEARCH AND FOUND 2 PLACES IN OHIO THAT SELL FOOD QUALITY SODIUM NITRATE.

GFS CHEMICALS, INC. P.O. Box 245 Powell, OH 43065
    740-881-5501(Tel.) 740-881-5989(Fax)
    1-800-424-9300(Chemtrec 24Hr. Info.)

HUKILL CHEMICAL
    7013 Krick Road, Bedford, Ohio 44146-4493
    Phone 800-962-1143 Fax 440-232-9477

I DONT USE IT BUT DID A QUICK SEARCH AND FOUND 2 PLACES IN OHIO THAT SELL FOOD QUALITY SODIUM NITRATE.

HOPE THIS HELPED

6. Sodium Nitrate!????....

Yeah, sure......makin' jerky.....ooookaaaay......

I bel
    ieve the terror alert level just jumped up to fuscia !!!!
    next thing I wanted to know was where to get a good deal on large quanities of deisel fuel LOL btw meijer sells sodium nitrite:) just got some

7. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Not to be confused with Ammonium Nitrate...Now, that would make for some full blown Jerky...! :eek:

8. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

jihad Jerkey!!!!!!:) :) :) :)

9. Wannabitawerm

Wannabitawerm Flatulent Entreprenuer

Gosh I love this place!

10. What you are looking for is also called instacure #1...(it helps to prevent food poisening when you are cooking stuff at low temps where the nasties like botulism tent to grow) you can order it online at www.sausagemaker.com .... or you can do like I did and buy the Hi Mountain jerkey kit which contains the seasonings and the cure in one package... It is usually pretty reasonably priced @ around $8 and makes around 15# of jerkey.... I have seen it at Dicks, gander and several other other stores...

11. Ummmmmmmm Botulism, now theres good eating.