close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soaking fillets in milk

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by tpat, Jul 6, 2008.

1. tpat

tpat

I've heard this suggested before. What is the science behind it? Or the superstition?

2. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

more science(not rocket science though,lol) than superstition.it helps to give fish a milder taste.i like soaking in buttermilk sometimes,for that and the added flavor.

3. jennis9

jennis9 Fish against the fish...

if you have a very strong fish - it takes the gamey taste out of it.

OR sometimes if you get fish from someone and it may be older or not rinsed thoroughly... milk helps bring the sweetness out of the fillet.

4. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!

Yep... it is often the same trick used to make beef liver not taste like the byproducts it produces.

5. I prefer to brine fish ,meat or poultry when possible, its a really good way to infuse flavor and knock out some of the gamey taste that alot of people complain about when eating wild game. Not sure about milk but brines work through osmosis, the salinity of the brine is greater than that of the fluid in the cells in the meat causing the cells to open up and exchange the fluid in them for the brine.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

which is why i always give my fish an overnight soak in salt water.it also serves to draw any excess blood out(which i think is the source of some of the off flavor).and it does work great for poultry also,as kwilson mentioned.