Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
So why not more Baitcaster LH retrieve guys?

I am right handed. When ever I use a open face spinning rod, I use my left hand to retrieve. I believe this is the norm for most right handed dudes.

But when we move over to Baitcasters, so many right handed retrieve guys go over to the dark side, and order a right hand retrieve reel.

I don't understand why.

When you cast your rod, you use your right hand. So, when fishing with a bait caster, and using a right hand retrieve reel, you must take the time to switch the pole over to your left hand, before starting your retrieve.

Not me...

Simply cast, and reel in left handed, with no pole hand-off.

So what is the deal. Why do so many of you right handed people go for the mandatory pole hand off on every cast, before starting your retrieve? :)

It strikes me as such a shame to be 'born right', but act is if you were one of the less fortunate! :devil:

It also is creating a supply problem finding LH retrieve baitcasters, when they correctly should be the more common reel made.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It makes sense but in actuality it takes me no time at all to switch the rod to my left hand. The rod is switched before my lure hits the water.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I suppose it's not that big of a deal, but your still left with your weak hand on the pole, and your stronger hand only turning the reel.

Best hope to catch your big one on an openface, to put your strongest hand forward on the pole then.

I wonder if salt water bait caster dudes tend to go for LH retrieve reels?

I can't imaging pulling a tuna in with your left hand.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
So why not more Baitcaster LH retrieve guys?

I am right handed. When ever I use a open face spinning rod, I use my left hand to retrieve. I believe this is the norm for most right handed dudes.

But when we move over to Baitcasters, so many right handed retrieve guys go over to the dark side, and order a right hand retrieve reel.

I don't understand why.

When you cast your rod, you use your right hand. So, when fishing with a bait caster, and using a right hand retrieve reel, you must take the time to switch the pole over to your left hand, before starting your retrieve.

Not me...

Simply cast, and reel in left handed, with no pole hand-off.

So what is the deal. Why do so many of you right handed people go for the mandatory pole hand off on every cast, before starting your retrieve? :)

It strikes me as such a shame to be 'born right', but act is if you were one of the less fortunate! :devil:

It also is creating a supply problem finding LH retrieve baitcasters, when they correctly should be the more common reel made.
Traditionally there were no LH retrieve models only RH retrieve casting reels. Funny that on one hand (pun inntended) you are advocating RH people to switch and on the other hand you are complaining that the supply is too tight already...Hmmm.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good trivia on the baitcasters, i didn't know that.

Just was having some fun. ;)

I do find it odd though.

I am correct in saying LH retrieve is the most common for right handed people with spinning reels, aren't i?

I think that is true anyway.

People feel free to reel with whatever hand ya like. Don't mind me!! :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've never understood it either. I grew up with LH spinning reels so it was just natural to use a LH baitcaster. I would much rather pull with my stringer hand, and reel with the weaker.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The reason being when you are flippin jigs or worms that the retrieve is on the right side so it doesn't catch the line when u go to flip...other than worm rods all mine are left handed retrieve.

·
Akron
2,435 Posts
I guess that I am just a traditional guy.

Most fishing reels are suspended from the bottom of the rod, since this position requires no wrist strength to overcome gravity while enabling the angler to cast and retrieve without changing hands.[7] The baitcasting reel's unusual mounting position atop the rod is an accident of history.[7] Baitcasting reels were originally designed to be cast when positioned atop the rod, then rotated upside-down in order to operate the crank handle while playing a fish or retrieving line.[7] However, in practice most anglers preferred to keep the reel atop the rod for both cast and retrieve by simply transferring the rod to the left hand for the retrieve, then reverse-winding the crank handle.[7] Because of this preference, mounting the crank handle on the right side of a bait casting reel (with standard clockwise crank handle rotation) has become customary, though models with left-hand retrieve have gained in popularity in recent years thanks to user familiarity with the spinning reel.[10]

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I'm not sure I believe that...if that's the case then casting rods handles are molded wrong for when u flip the rod upside down...so u are saying they were orginally made to flip the rod over and reel backwards?..I think its just a personal preference...you learn something new everyday I guess.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I also agree that LH reels make more sense for right handed people.... cast and crank, no wasted motion. I also wish it were easier to find LH models, but sometimes when reels are on sale all they have left is the LH models, so sometimes it wrks out to my advantage.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I started out fishing with a right handed spinning reel, all my current spinning reels are right handed. However, last year when I for my baitcaster it was right handed, I looked like a toddler chucking a bowlingball when I casted it. Not to mention working the rod felt unnatural.

I switched to left handed with a baitcaster and was in business!

The one advantage I see for me to have a left handed baitcaster is that at no point during the casting am I out of position to set the hook. I've seen guys cast right handed and the miss fish because they were switching the rod from right to left. Some people say they switch while the bait is still in the air, but if your flipping, pitching, or need to cast to an exact spot that won't work at all.

Mr. A

·
Akron
2,435 Posts
So you are assuming the origional baitcast rods had the modern trigger handle???

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I thought of this as I was typing my last reply...I do have some with molded rubber handles that are probably over 30 years old...I mean how far back are we going?..to cane poles?..I'm not saying your theory is incorrect at all or isn't true...I've never heard of such a thing before...what about the people that wind backwards and upside down with a spinning reel?..lol...where do they fall into this?..like I said u learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
330 Posts
last year i had that same idea. "why don't i use left hand retrieve casting reels?". purchased a lower end pinnacle platinum on ebay for super cheap just to test the theory. i have since given that reel away, which kind of says it all.

it was so incredibly awkward. from hook setting to retrieving lures. hell, even spooling the reel was incredibly awkward. i still don't understand why. as most, all my spinning gear is left hand retrieve.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Heres an Idea work out your left side. Its not a big deal at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I guess it matters what some people consider a right handed or a left handed reel...a reel that winds on the left is a right handed reel right?..I only do left hand reel myself...just feels to damn weird the other way...lol.

·
Akron
2,435 Posts
I thought of this as I was typing my last reply...I do have some with molded rubber handles that are probably over 30 years old...I mean how far back are we going?..to cane poles?..I'm not saying your theory is incorrect at all or isn't true...I've never heard of such a thing before...what about the people that wind backwards and upside down with a spinning reel?..lol...where do they fall into this?..like I said u learn something new everyday.
Not my theory! It comes from Wikopedia. That does not make it gospel but it is the best explaination I have come across so far.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
First off, It's exactly as Robert said. I switch the rod from right to left hand during the cast. It's second nature and I don't even realize I am doing it. It's also just as natural to move the rod from my left hand to my right, to make another cast. If a person wants to call it wasted motion, that's fine, I have no problem with that. But there is no wasted time.

Secondly ..... There are distinct advantages to switching hands. The first advantage is one that the OP evidently doesn't understand, I know he was just having some fun, but saying ..... "Best hope to catch your big one on an openface, to put your strongest hand forward on the pole then." is flawed from a mechanics standpoint.

When I switch hands, I end up with the reel in the palm of my left hand when I start my retrieve. My hand is in a power position, holding both the reel and the rod at the same time. My hand and forearm are parallel with the rear grip of the rod. I'm not holding just the rod handle as a right handed person that is using a left handed reel hand would be. And my hand isn't on top of the rod, it's beside it. I am in a much more powerful position for a hook set, than a right handed person using a left handed reel. Also... my hand is closer to the rod tip. Granted, my hand may only be a couple of inches closer to the rod tip, but it gives me more leverage over someone whose hand is behind the reel. .

The second advantage..... at least for me is..... I can turn the reel handle a lot faster with my right hand, than I can my left. I'd imagine that would be the case with anyone that is right handed. If I can reel faster I can get the slack out of my line faster to make a hook set, and I can control potential slack line during the fight more quickly. Also my strong hand is on the reel handle for those times when I really need to winch a fish out of cover. To the OP...... yes right handed tuna fisherman use right handed reels because they have to winch in the fish, and their right hand is more powerful.

As far as the explanation given regarding flipping? I do all my pitching and flipping with a right handed reel. I hold the rod in my left hand the entire time. I rarely have the line catching on the reel handle when flipping, and never when pitching. When you're flipping you should be controlling the line with your off hand through the entire flip. If I'm flipping water shallower than two feet, I never touch the reel handle until it's time to set the hook. If you're having a problem with your line catching on your reel handle while flipping, it's a mechanics problem that is easily cured with a little practice

As far as the spinning gear thing goes, my only explanation as to why it feels far more comfortable to reel (at least for me) is that the reel is mounted below the rod.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I guess it matters what some people consider a right handed or a left handed reel...a reel that winds on the left is a right handed reel right?..I only do left hand reel myself...just feels to damn weird the other way...lol.
No...

With a left hand retrieve openface, or baitcaster, the reel is on the left.

I do have a quantum baitcaster in good shape that has a right hand retrieve.

I would love to swap it with another dude for the same level of quality in a LH retrieve baitcaster.

There are distinct advantages to switching hands. The first advantage is one that the OP evidently doesn't understand, I know he was just having some fun, but saying ..... "Best hope to catch your big one on an openface, to put your strongest hand forward on the pole then." is flawed from a mechanics standpoint.

When I switch hands, I end up with the reel in the palm of my left hand when I start my retrieve. My hand is in a power position, holding both the reel and the rod at the same time. My hand and forearm are parallel with the rear grip of the rod. I'm not holding just the rod handle as a right handed person that is using a left handed reel hand would be. And my hand isn't on top of the rod, it's beside it. I am in a much more powerful position for a hook set, than a right handed person using a left handed reel. Also... my hand is closer to the rod tip. Granted, my hand may only be a couple of inches closer to the rod tip, but it gives me more leverage over someone whose hand is behind the reel.
Understood! ;)
And a good reply I might add.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The L handed retrieve is really catching on among right handers. At LBF we sell them at a 50/50 ratio.
I started out spinning with my L hand and it just seemed natural to reel with my L when baitcasting... to each their own, but if i try using a R handed reel, it's like trying to throw a football with my left... it just dosent work and is awkward. My right hand is always palming the reel and i use my left as a lever when casting... trigger goes between middle and ring finger. For the R handed retrieve guys... if it works why change, like Bassbme said he has a system that works good for him, trying to switch at this point for him would be like relearning tying shoes, with no noticeable advantages.
I think this topic will always be a debate among fishermen... whatever works for the individual using the combo is the best.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts