so much for the little guy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ezbite, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

we have this little store here in warren called mickeys army and navy that i spend probably 250 to 300 bucks a year in. not just because its a "little guy" store (which i always try to support even though they are usually more expensive), but because they have some tackle that i can only find there and pretty good deals sometimes on their other merchandise. i went there today looking for some small #18 or #20 hooks (planned on smelting later) they had them of course. BUT, on my way in, right beside the "we sell hunting and fishing licenses" sign in the window, a brand new "no concealed carry permits allow" (you know the one with a RED circle and a slash thur it over a handgun).. now is it me or does this upset you. it made me so mad that by the time i found my hooks and was ready to check out, i just walked out WITHOUT THE HOOKS!!! on my way out i asked the guy behind the counter about the sign, he just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. i dont think he had anything to do with it, just working there. looks like today was the last time i will ever step foot into that store. too bad to, because i always liked shopping there. so much for the little guy, looks like dicks and gander just got a few hundred dollars more business. thanks for the vent....:(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

tom, i definitly see what your saying, but i guess i can see where they are coming from as well. Self defense is a great thing to have anywhere, but i guess the fact of having a loaded gun in a store "worries" people for a robbery, misuse of the gun, ect. Like i said, i definitly do not think its right at all, im just guessing on their reasoning for having the rule there.......

3. ezbite

what i get from the signs in the windows is...to them...it's OK to go out and kill animals with a gun, but it's not OK to protect yourself with one:confused: i think they are as confused as i am right now:confused:

4. Gju42486

Gju42486 Banned

i agree, and like you said, the clueless guy behind the counter probably had nothing to do with it- hell, he probably agrees with you and was embarrassed and ashamed when you asked him about it, i know i would be if i had got asked about it.

5. tubuzz2

tubuzz2 1700 Lund Red and tan

No What the sign say's is ( It is okay to rob this store, no one in here is armed and able to defend them self easy picks. )

6. NUM1FIRE

NUM1FIRE FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER

so if i read your post right this little store use to allow u to carry a loaded gun in there with a permit but not anymore because of the sign. but dicks and gander mountain will let u carry a loaded gun in there with a permit? i never knew that u could carry a loaded gun in to dicks and gander mountain before. thanks for the update

7. ezbite

there was never a sign in mickeys window before.

unless it is posted in the front window that you are not allow to carry (provided you are licensed) the law says it ok.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Yeap, also KMart, Walmart,Sears, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc....

Ezbite,

My dad is just like you, if theres a sign he wont go in. He called the store manager of the local Ace Handyman store in Fairborn, becasue one day he noticed a sign. The manager, didnt even know it was there. As soon as dad told the guy (who hes known for years & years) the sign came down. Ended up being a reg employee put the sign there and not the manager.

Dad did the same thing w/ the local Family Dollar (or similar store). He took that one all the way to the president of the company. It ended up that the only way the stores insruance would insure the store was if the sign was posted.

9. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

The "sign" isn't going to protect them or stop a robbery, duh Maybe someone with a cc would be in there at the time that would help them duhh again.

10. BigV

BigV BigV

I have been carrying concealed now for almost 4 years. The stores that post the Gun Buster signs are know to us as a CPZ (Criminal Protection Zone). If a store is posted with a No Gun sign, I will not go inside armed. (why)? 1) Because I am a law abiding citizen. 2) I carry a concealed weapon to protect my loved ones and me. If a store is so concerned about the welfare and safety of their customers they should allow law abiding citizens that have been trained, fingerprinted and passed NCIS background checks inside while armed. If they will not, I will not patronize the establishment.

I usually try to reason with the establishment owners and once given the facts some remove the sign while others do not. If they do not, I submit the establishments name to the Ohio For Concealed Carry (OFCC) “do Not Patronize” list http://www.ohioccw.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,77/

As stated in an earlier post, the BG (Bad Guy) looks for opportunity to perpetrate a crime with the least resistance. That’s why they prey on women, children and the elderly. They see a Gun Buster sign as an easy mark where no one with a gun will oppose them. Crime statistics show that business with No Gun signs are robbed more often than business that do not post.
    The good news is:
    There are over 1/2 million businesses in Ohio. Less than one percent have ever posted discriminatory signs banning chl-holders, and more remove their signs daily.

11. Ez, Check out ohioccw.org. Click on do not patronize while armed list. There is some good info that you can print out and drop off for the manager.

12. iwdavefish

iwdavefish Fishin' Fanatic

That is too bad about Mickey's. I have bought a lot of stuff there.

13. duckman

duckman Dr Data

I think I bought my first pair of waders there as a kid ...

14. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

Even seems kind of ironic that an army/navy would do that.

15. ezbite

yep, exactly what i thought. double talk anyone???

16. vkutsch

vkutsch You scratched my anchor!

A lot of store owners would rather hand over the money in the register than have a shooting in their store. There is a much higher probability of someone getting hurt when someone "tries to be a hero".
    I'm curious- are you not going to shop there because you feel they are infringing on your 2nd amendment rights, or because you think they are creating a dangerous situation?

17. ezbite

yea, what you said.

but in truth it boils down to, i am not going to support their position, if they will not support mine. did i mention it is an ARMY/NAVY store??? i think the guys a hyporcrite if he sells macheties, swords, pepper spray, snares, knumb chucks, staffs, spears, throwing stars, army surplus, and on and on and on and puts a sign in his window saying i cant protect myself while in there.. i might stop down tomorrow and see if i can talk to the owner and find out his reasoning.

18. Rugged Seahorse

Rugged Seahorse sander vitreus slayer

I worked in an office building that had one of those signs on the door. I asked the building manager about it one day and he told me that they got a break on their liability insurance for posting the sign. I don't know if this is true or not, but it makes sense -- most businesses don't try to make social or political statements, they're mainly interested in improving the bottom line.

19. ezbite

thats one possibility.

20. If money is the bottom line then I wonder if after Ezbite tells them that he is taking his $300.00 and going elsewhere will they decided that they can make more money by taking down the sign and paying more on their insurance bill.