close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So I broke down and bought the Aqua Vu.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KSUFLASH, Sep 20, 2004.

1. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

Well, the Aqua Vu's went on sale and I picked one up for a good price. Decided to play around with it at home. I got the "Z" model, of which has the infra red lights that allow you to illumitate the area in low light situations. Figured I would try that feature out in a dark room at the house. Shut all the doors and closed the blinds, and it was dark. Flipped on the camera, turned the infra red lights on and it was like night vision. I could easily see the contents of the room. Took it out with me sunday to Mosquito. Looking at the lake I was a bit sceptical about what I could see down there since it looked like chocolate milk in some places. Found a cove to try it out. I didn't see much until I got the camera all the way to the bottom of the lake, and then I was like a kid in a candy store. It was awesome to look at the lakes bottom structure and then look at my Eagle Fishmark 480 to see what it was showing me. I have already gained valuable information about what my fish finder shows me compared to what the Aqua Vu shows.

Now I did notice something that I am still pondering. I was in 27' of water when I dropped the camera down to see what was happening down there. As I began lowering the unit into the water, I obviously couldn't see anything, the screen was in a sense blank. But once I got around 15 ft. Things looked a bit odd. I was seeing alot of what I thought was floating algae/debris in the water. The further I went down past 15' the more stirred up it looked. I check a few more spots and it was the same thing. I am wandering if this was below the the thermal cline. And quite possibly fall turnover per say.

This camera will be a great addition to my beloved vexilar and all the other fishing gadgets. It was worth every penny.

flash-------------------------------------out

2. It sounds to me like you were seeing below the thermocline but I have no experience with an Aqua Vu nor with Mosquito. I could see that being beneficial in understanding the FF and what you are really seeing. However, i don't see me finding enough pennies to get one for myself. Nor do I see me convincing my wife that I really need it.:rolleyes:

3. The best part about the aqua views is being able to see the fish not biting :eek: Can be kind of dicouraging seeing the fish with lock jaw smelling your bait and not biting.

Another note wait untill you feel the bite before seting the hook. Lost a nice northern in MN when i watched him inhale the pimple and I set the hook before he closed his mouth and swam away :mad:

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

You will actually see those types of organisms scooting around on their own under the ice when the camera is motionless. Im assuming those things are right at the lens itself and somehow the camera is able to focus on them. Just an idea though from what Ive seen, Im not for sure.

5. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Money well worth spent! You just bought the best fishing tool there is!(for clear water) zfish and I have logged some time with the camera and have learned that the LCR'S for the most part are interpretation. We also found some reasons that the LCR's show fish when they're really not there.(thermocline and turnover) I have all the high dollar LCR on my G3 and the best tools we have are the Vexilar and the camera. The really cool thing about the camera is seeing the schools of fish. zfish did a great job of locating the crappies on our lake with these two tools and really came up with some amazing results. We are not really slaying them yet (due to presentation) but we are now fishing the right places. Like the other guys have seen, just cause you found the fish doesn,t mean there biting but, these two tools sure do eliminate a lot of water. Man, there sure is a lot of stuff suspended in the water like you said. Make sure you try your camera at nite, its a whole different world down there!!!! We were amazed at the little critters swimming around! Make sure your friends get to see whats going on in the lake with the camera, even if they don,t fish, its awsome!!!! :) LakeRaider<><>

6. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Lakeraider has a good point on nice clear lakes like HVL night is really fun to see but its one of a very few in the state I would think it would work well at night. Come to think of it its the only place I've been happy to keep it on at night. I dont have a good answer on turn over and thermo cline like Lundy or someone like him may have. I do know most lakes I fish and get to use the camera that arent the clearest the bottom 2 to 5 feet are just abour always the cleanest as far as seeing with the camera. Sure is a neat tool and going ice fishing give you a whole lot of ideas come spring- fall fishing on presentations. The ice fishing meathods work more than just winter. :D

7. KSUFLASH

Got to finally use the Aqua Vu in daylight for an extended period of time this weekend. Highlight of the day was a walleye curious about what the camera was and gave me a good look at him. Best money I ever spent, of coarse the Vex is also right up there as well.

flash---------------------------------out

8. We're raffling off an Aqua View ay the Gary Riffle Memorial Tournament on Oct. 9. More details later....

9. I love my Aqua Vu on the clearer lakes like Lake Erie and Chautauqua lake. It's a great way to find structure and then mark it with your GPS. Ok, let's start seeing the fish videos. I know mine I can plug into my Digital Video camera and record what it sees under water.

10. KSUFLASH

once i get the camcorder, i will post some movies of what I am recording.

flash---------------------------out

11. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Ok guys. I am thinking about getting an Aqua Vu myself. KSUFLASH now that you have had it for a few months, What are your thoughts now?

12. KSUFLASH

The Vu definatley has it's place in the fishing world. I can list some benefits and drawbacks of the unit.

Benefits:

There is nothing better than finally seeing through a camera what the bottom structure/contour of a lake looks like. I have always wandered what my fish finder was truly trying to tell me, and now with the Vu, I have learned so much. Ever wandered if your jigging your lure/bait enough or too much, with the camera, you will find in most cases just a little twich of the wrist is all it takes to jig. Ever wander what the fish actually are, well you can now see. Ever wander what their reaction is to the bait, no problem, just watch the monitor. Ever been on the ice and wandered if you were on the structure, with the Vu you can tell. If your not on the structure, just move towards it. Depending on water clarity, I have been able to see as far as 20ft away from the camera. Some other nice features are the ability to troll with the camera down, and 1 guy drives the boat, the other man's the camera. You cover more open water and find new spots. They have some swim fin attachments that make this possible. Also a nice attachment is a camera stand for ice fishing. Basically allows you to lower the camera into the water all the way to the bottom, the camera rests on a bolt on stand, and instead of the camera laying on the bottom of the lake, it is suspended about 3" above the mud and gunk on the bottom. Also allows you to angle the camera how you wish. Another nice feature is the ability to connect a camcorder to the unit and record what you are seeing.

Drawbacks:

The camera isn't perfect for every situation. If you want to learn alot more about the bottom of a lake or fish behavior it is perfect, but you will have a difficult time running the camera and truly concentrating on fishing at the same time. The model I have has a 60' cable, and I have to manually wind and unwind it. It can be a pain at times. It takes 2 guys to run the trolling method. You have limited to no visibility if you want to use it at night. If it is cloudy and not much light penetrates the water, then you distance of vision is very limited. Due to light penetration and the color of water, once you get into the 20' range on alot of lakes, you have a difficult time actually seeing anything. Of coarse if the water clarity is perfect, then it isn't an issue. Camera is best used if your are stationary. If I were to buy another one, some nice features would be, water temp gauge, and a directional compas on the screen.

Conclusion:

Without a doubt if you want to educate yourself about what is under the surface of the lake, there is nothing and I mean nothing that can compare to a camera short of scuba diving. You can not get the visual from a vexlar, or any sonar product to my knowledge compared to the Vu. Now of coarse there are those situations where 1 over the other would be better for fishing, but for education, there is no doubt the Vu has made understand what my other electronics are telling me. Too me I look at the Vu as and educational tool rather than a fishing tool. I use the Vu on soft water to find spots, mark them on my GPS, then when ice hits, rely on the Vex to do the grunt work.

Without a doubt if you are considering a Vu, and money is tight, go with the "Z" model. I got mine at Gander Mtn. for $250. I would say thats cheap for educating myself.

flash------------------------------------out

13. Hey Flash, are you saying the IR lights are pretty much worthless even at night? Does yours also have the colored LED's ?

14. I just bought one a few weeks ago from Bass Pros Shops. They had the Aquavu MC2X. It's on sale at BPS for $250, and then with other gift certificates and points from my award card I had I only ended up paying $102.00 for it. I figured what the heck....It has the Multi Color lights, and those things are pretty bright. Went down in the basement, pitch black, and you could see everything....including any dust in the air. I can imagine that it would be difficult to see even in the dark with the MC lights on. I bought it for ice fishing, and I do 90% of that at Mogadore...in the dark, so we will see how it works. I haven't got to put it in the water yet, but I can't wait...now if Santa brings me the Vex that I begged for I will be ready for some ice!

Kevin

15. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Multi-COlor lights seemed to me to be useless in the dark. Dirty water around here. We went to Michigan and fished a couple of ultra clear lakes, where you could see the bottom in 30 foot of water. Waited until dark, and flipped on the lights.......was like snow from all of the plankton swimming around in the water. Haven't had any experience with the IR's yet, but from what I've seen.....so far they are better than the MC's.

16. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I've used mine for the last 3 years ice fishing and on Erie while perch and smallmouth fishing.

Clear water is the key to the effectiveness of the camera.

I have not found any use for the lights at night yet. There are so many little living creatures in the water that it just blinds you like Shawn said, SNOWSTORM!

Kim

17. KSUFLASH

if you turn on the lights at night, like already said, you pickup alot of plankton and bugs. But if you get your jig within 2ft of the lens you can see your bait, and can see a fish take the bait, but you cant see much further than that.

flash--------------------------out