close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, How do you cook YOUR Bird?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Elamenohpee, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Do any of you guys have a time tested, always right way to roast a turkey? My birds seem to be very inconsistant from year to year. Some years they are juicy and moist and others they are dry and grainy. Maybe it's the bird or maybe it's the cook :eek: :eek: Seems like there should be a way to get it right every time.

Thanks, and if I don't see ya before hand...Happy Thanksgiving :) :) :)

2. Get you a box of cooking bags Reynolds or other brand. Follow the directions that come with it i also use season salt all over the bird & pepper and poltry seasoning inside. Cut up some carrots and celery also some onion put some in the bird and the rest under it you will have a very juicy bird and it will fall off the bone. I have been doing it this way for over thirty years hope this helps. Good Luck on Turkey Day HAVE A GOOD ONE Fishguy :)

3. catking

catking Banned

Best thing since sliced bread.!!! Like FISHGUY pointed out, do a little creative stuffing of the bird.. These oven bags are excellent, and they also cut the cooking time in half , and the bird is always perfect... CATKING

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Bags sound good, I think we usually wrap in foil, then remove the foil ( during the last 1/2 hour) & baste several times to get the golden brown.....

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

two things to do for a great tasting bird (this one comes from wolfgang puck and it's produced three great birds for me):

1.) Brine the bird overnight. Whatever brine recipe you like. I like one that has maple syrup & honey in the mix
    2.) Make a good herb butter using softened butter and fresh sage/rosemary Stuff the breast of the bird full of this stuff between the skin and the meat (going up underneath the skin flap where the neck was.
    3.) Stuff the cavity of the bird FULL of apples, fresh herbs, onions and lemons. Then tie the legs together.

The honey/syrup in the brine makes the bird brown up real nice in the oven, the brine locks in the juices, and the butter bastes it. It's the best turkey I've ever had.

6. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've stuffed mine with Granny Apples and onions (quartered) for years. Never had a complaint.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't roast anymore.
    deep fried is the only way :D
    don't get no better than that when injected with your favorite flavors :cool: 30-45 minutes to heat oil and 45 to drown the bird.don't get no faster or better than that :)

8. You said 45 minutes to drown the bird :rolleyes: . How do you get it in the pot to drown it without it splattering you with hot oil while it is flapping those big wings trying to survive :confused: . I got a bird yesterday and couldn't even get it into an empty pot, plus the darn thing got away and I'll have to buy another one. :p

9. We like to do ours the old traditional way.
    First, treat the bird as if you are going to put it in the oven.
    Stuffing and all in? Good,
    Now wrap the turkey in alum. foil at least 2 layers thick. Then wrap chicken wire or a fine mesh wire around the foil wrapped bird.
    Next, insert 2 steel rods, something that will not bend or melt through the mesh wire. The rods serve as holders to keep bird out of flames and makes turning it a sinch.
    Get a fire going and let some coals build up. Surround the fire with sheet metal, or something to create an oven like area.
    Place bird over fire and cover it with something to hold heat in.
    25 pound bird takes me 2 hours to cook to perfection, and never any leftovers doing it this way
    It sounds like a lot of work but it is easy and faster than you think to do.
    Try it sometime when the rain and snow aint flying, you will not be sorry you did.

10. I agree with Misfit. Deep fry is the only way to go! Did our first turkey deep fry today. Turned out great. 20 pound bird in peanut oil. Put in for 3 minutes per pound. Took just over an hour. We will continue this for years to come.

11. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

Deep fried all the way!!

Scott

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

hey shortskirt.i left out step one.figured everyone knew that one.KILL the bird before attemting to drown it :rolleyes: :D

13. Kroger had the fresh turkeys on sale yesterday. So, I got two 12 pounders for about $12. I got out the necessary refreshments and then did one fried, and the other one smoked (Fish4wall's cider smoke recipe). We did the taste test. The demographic was one middle aged women, her 16 year old son, her 17 year old daughter, and the resident royalty. Guess which is better?

14. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Hopefully the 17 yr. old daughter :eek: :eek: ;) I'd say the deep fryed bird was probably tastiest.

15. Both turkeys were equal....they just could not choose one over the other. Both were darn good.
    And lmnop, I'll go ahead and take that as an offer of marriage....we'll be over to meet your parents and tie the knot as soon as we can! I just knew I could find a husband for her on the internet. :D

16. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Well, the way I look at is...the more the marrier :) I've always said "Ya caint never have too many wifes" :D :D

ps.
    please send pictures :) ;)