Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can pick up snubbers in the Akron Area? Now that the Steelhead are biting I would like to keep some of my tackle intact.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
If you have a Gander Mountain in your area, they sell them. I would call first though...store inventory varies depending on geographic location. They sell the Luhr Jensen version...not the best, but they work.

I prefer snubbers from Opti tackle (along with a lot of other stuff). You can order them from Bob's Outdoors. Bob is a great guy...tell him that BFG sent you.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Valid question Weaver- I am using them for Walleye fishing incase I hook a steelhead. I dont actually target the steelhead.

Am I off on this?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You will get many different opinions on this so here is mine:

IMHO if you have your drag and dypsey release set right and have good line and leader they are not needed. As I said you will get alot of other opinions on this.

reo

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
I had a steelie take a harness monday evening he cracked it so hard it busted my lure right off, I was using a 15 pound flour leader too., running meat I didn't think a steelie would hit it as it's never happened to me, if I would have had a snubber on I would have had a chance.

if there is a chance for steelies you do want to run snubbers at least IMO. I have seen them clean a spoon right off on more than one occation as well. they are super powerful fish and hit like Mack Trucks, plus when trolling at 3.0-3.3 GPS speed the chances are even greater.

I did have my drags set with all premium tackle and line and components, no short cuts on my boat EVER.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Snubbers are no more then a shock absorber.

My personal preference is to use them with dipsey's. I feel they aid in setting the hook for you as well as give you that added stretch when using braided line. Also, I feel it gives you a better chance with landing larger fish.

BTW...I also use them on downriggers between the ball and the release.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
go here for great snubbers http://www.amishoutfitters.com/

i only run them when targeting steelies. they cant really hurt for walleyes but often times i have a hard time detecting smaller trash fish when using them.
my 2 cents.

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
rodmakers has the amish ones . i have had steelhead completely destroy the luhr jehnsen snubbers and still break 17 lb test leaders,even had 1 break a dipsey rod right in the holder.they must hit on a full pace run and not stop or slow down for the bait.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,949 Posts
snubbers are used on all of my lines. like hook said i feel they help in hook sets. i also think they help fish stay on your line better than running without one. with the snubber streched you always have some tension on that fish, reguardless if you happen to drop the rod tip back. last year we lost several fish because the angler got lazy and dropped the tip back towards the fish. once we started to use snubbers, our catch rate went up. i will always use them. i even got the tubing off ebay and made my own. thats just MY opinion.:D

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Hook n Book...

I do the same with a snubber when fishing riggers for 'eyes...works great.

Dreamweaver and many of the other Great Lakes fishing product manufacturers (Wolverine tackle, etc.) are all making their own snubbers now.

I still like the Opti's though.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How far does the snuber stretch? I run a 6ft 20# fluorocarbon leader and with the 6ft of leader I don't have much more room to net fish in my 19fter. I could buy a longer net I guess. I like what Ez said also. It helps with the lazy or younger rod realers. My 12 year old has a habit of "pumping the rod" when realin in fish. He has lost a few pretty good size ones when he drops the rod tip. But hes learning lol

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,949 Posts
How far does the snuber stretch? I run a 6ft 20# fluorocarbon leader and with the 6ft of leader I don't have much more room to net fish in my 19fter. I could buy a longer net I guess. I like what Ez said also. It helps with the lazy or younger rod realers. My 12 year old has a habit of "pumping the rod" when realin in fish. He has lost a few pretty good size ones when he drops the rod tip. But hes learning lol

my snubbers are 9" long with a 2 foot legnth of 40/12 power pro inside hooking the swivels together. id say mine don't stretch more than a foot and a half. unless it's a hawg then its maxed at 2.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Long net Goooood!!!

I have several friends that run 3' snubbers behind their wire divers for salmonoids. They run these off 10'6 wire rods, and use 6-8' leaders.

Yeah....it's a long stretch to that fish thrashing around behind the boat, but there have been days when I've seen that extra leader length really make a difference.

A 12" snubber should be more than adequate for walleyes or steelies.

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
Everyone will have their own opinions and likes.

I always use snubbers when targeting steelhead and salmon. They will save you a bunch of lost spoons (or spinners:D )

When you are trolling at 2.8 + most of the time and then add in the waves surge, you must set your drag pretty tight to keep the line from feeding out. Then add in a dipsy setting that will keep it from false tripping at those speeds and your looking at an ideal situation for a steelhead to break you off on the initial hit.

For salmon with wire line dipsy's I use a very loose drag setting but use a release just above the reel. When the salmon hits it pulls the line free from the release and then you have the fish on a loose drag to allow you to remove the rod from the rod holder. If you have never tried to remove a wire line dipsy rod from a rod holder with a 25lb + king on the other end you just can't appreciate how difficult that simple little task can be.

For walleye no that the 03's have grown up some I use a snubber again. I don't think the snubber hurts anything and can help maintain tension on the fish near the boat when the dipsy clears the water and starts swinging around. I quit running snubbers last year for walleye when the 03's were smaller only because the stretch seemed to reduce the hookset on those smaller and lighter fish.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
For salmon with wire line dipsy's I use a very loose drag setting but use a release just above the reel. When the salmon hits it pulls the line free from the release and then you have the fish on a loose drag to allow you to remove the rod from the rod holder. If you have never tried to remove a wire line dipsy rod from a rod holder with a 25lb + king on the other end you just can't appreciate how difficult that simple little task can be.
Lundy,
Can you explain this in more detail? What sort of release are you using and how is it rigged to the rod/reel...???

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts