Snubbers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GWT, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GWT

GWT

You trollers on Lake Erie do you use Snubbers with dipsy divers or not?
    Some people in our camp use them & some don't.

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Depends...if you use monofilament line you don't need it. If you're using a no stretch line I would use it. But of course, some will say you don't need them at all. So the short answer is, it's a personal preference. ;)

3. I carefully set the drag on my linecounters to just hold the spool from turning and have modestly flexible 8'6" poles. I don't break lines or lose a lot of strikes. My biggest loss seems to be a few at the boat on short bites of the spoon.

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

only for steelhead

5. I forgot to mention I use 20# braided line, 15# flouro leader, no snubbers with my dipsies.

6. tomb

tomb Tom B.

I always run them, doesn't seem to hurt my catch rate. I use the larger diameter one's. Cheap insurance against losing dipsey, spoon and leader to an untargeted steelhead that crashes the party.

7. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

I have snubbers, but never use them. I would if I got into some steelhead though. I use 30# braid with 6' 20# floro leader. Have never lost a dipsy due to not using a snubber. The leader would break before the braid I believe, so at worst I would lose a spoon and a leader.

8. freyedknot

i was going to ask tomb if he puts his snubber b4 the dipsey?

9. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

One end of snubber goes to the back of the dipsy, other end to leader.

10. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

yes, always. i even make my own. pretty simple once you make one.

11. harle96

harle96 Draggin Meat

I always use them.... I bought a few clear ones from amish outfitters at the Mishauds flea Market in the off season. I wish I would have picked up more. Each time out thus far the clear snubbers produced more fish than the traditional yellow ones.

Unfortunately my last time out the clear ones were not on my side of the boat.

My 2 cents.

Dave

12. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I always use them. I even use them now on my downriggers. A tip I learned from here year last summer.

13. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Freyed: The snubber is between dipsey and leader.

It was explained to me that all the stress from the violent hit of the steelhead is concentrated on the first solid connection, which is the knot in the braid at the snap. Even without a snubber, mono/fluorocarbon is elastic, so it survives long enough to pass all the strain up the line to the braid. The hit from the steelhead happens so fast that the drag can't react fast enough to protect the braid. As opposed to snagging something and slowly pulling until the weakest line breaks(the leader), the hit is a quick "POP". The snubber absorbes the initial split second of shock so the drag can do its job. They earned the nickname Silver Bullets for a reason didn't they?

14. Tomb's explanation makes sense. I'll go buy some snubbers.

15. freyedknot

i was just asking as you said you did not want to lose a dipsey. so i thaught you put them b4 it.i use 30 lb braid .

16. Workdog

Workdog "One More Time"

I've had Steelhead pop 25lb P-Line leader, even when using snubbers, when I have to crank down the dipsy releases due to higher waves. I wouldn't want to go without snubbers when Steelhead are around. By the way, I use 50lb PowerPro.

Workdog