Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AKA Rubber Duck on the water
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iam goingto try it... we had a rod with braid and dipsey no snubber the other day and when it got hit the rod went down and bammm snapped the leader in half.

We did get a steelhead on a jet with no snubber same day but wondering if it was luck he did not snap it.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
Iam goingto try it... we had a rod with braid and dipsey no snubber the other day and when it got hit the rod went down and bammm snapped the leader in half.

We did get a steelhead on a jet with no snubber same day but wondering if it was luck he did not snap it.
a dipsy hit is different than a jet (trutrip) hit. the jet will give more than the dispy - that is why we have not in past run snubbers on the jet but have always run on the dispy. perhaps because the jet is floating and the dipsy sinks at rest???

we don't really have issues with the jet that i am going to try the snubbers. perhaps just curious if will reduce the "drive by" hits in to "hookups"

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Not needed on Jets or true trips . Make sure your drags are set lightly .

On dipseys some people run em , some don't . I think alot depends on the quality of your reels drag on how much they help.
Me personally , I run snubbers for walleye , steelhead , and salmon with a lightly set drag .

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,408 Posts
Not needed on Jets or true trips . Make sure your drags are set lightly .

On dipseys some people run em , some don't . I think alot depends on the quality of your reels drag on how much they help.
Me personally , I run snubbers for walleye , steelhead , and salmon with a lightly set drag .
we run snubbers on dipsy as i don't think the drag has time to react as that hit force is transmitted from lure -to- leader -to- dipsy -to- line -to- rod -to- reel. that is a long way to travel before that drag reacts. by putting some cushion immediately after the lure and before the dipsy, you give the line and drag some time to load up and react.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
ive never run snubbers on anything and never had an issue hooking and landing steelhead or salmon...
set your drag right and you wont have an issue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts