Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
As a last resort, when I know a deer isn't going to come my way without a reason.

It'll spook more deer than it will entice, so use it wisely.

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
First time I heard the snort wheeze was when I rattled in a trophy ten point buck. He wheezed and then tore into a sapling and made a scrape. Then he marched into bow range with his ears pinned back ready to fight...I took the shot and missed! :D So from then on out, I used it to see if it would work for me. I had a small buck pestering a hot doe at 200 yards in a powerline cut. He was ignoring everything I was throwing at him. Rattle, bleat can and buck grunt. I decided to use the snort wheeze (I think it was a MAD Calls Snort Wheeze) and it pulled him off the doe and he trotted 200 yds right at me! He came within 40 yds before returning to the doe. I thought that was worth keeping it in my back pack. I agree with M. Magis and would use it if you think the buck is gonna pass you by. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have called in a few bucks by giving a few short wheezes to imitate a challenge to the buck. Definitely needs to be right time of year and I would also only use it as a last resort

Sent from my ADR6350 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,759 Posts
Here is a rule of thumb that has served me well. If you see a buck trolling the woods with his nose to the ground , call to him. The only time I wont do this is if he is on a path that is heading right for my stand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts