Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an Ohio walleye guy going on vacation for a few days in FL to target near shore Snook in the Ft. Lauderdale / Boca Raton area. Any tips or pointers?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Never fished that area, but if you're going some time during the summer they should be spawning. That means at any given point there will be a lot of them on the beaches. I always like to fish the beach at daybreak, casting parallel to the shore. It can take some getting used to. If you can find structure all the better. They will be within the first 10' (usually within 5') of shore, they call it the trough where the waves break. Baits vary a lot, anything from jerk baits to soft plastics worked SLOWLY along the bottom may work. They're visible if you really look, but they can be tough to see. You'll also find plenty along the mangrove banks in the back country near passes and such. Having never been to that area I don't know what you'll be working with as far as back country.
Use a 20-30 lb fluorocarbon leader tied to your main line of choice. Snook have a gill plate as sharp as a razor blade. Main line doesn't have to be anything heavy, 12lb is what I typically use.

·
1 fish is a he!! of alot more than none.
1,825 Posts
I went with Captain Anson in December 2007. He took us out of Port of the Islands south of Naples. Captain drove from Miami area to meet us there. We had an amazing day with him, targeting Snook all day but catching 4 dozen lady fish, bluefish, my buddy lost a dandy permit and finally the last fish on way in through the canal, my Snook. We were flyfishing and the fly fell off a mangrove root hit the water and "Slurrrrp!" fish on. Best fight of my life a 34 incher on a 7 weight. The next morning I caught a 20 incher off the beach jetty. The tide plays a big part in success on the beach and shallow water. I think rising and high tide was best. Let us know how you do. Look up Captain Anson if you can. He was an enjoyable guy and a great character.
Rickerd

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
http://www.swamptosea.com/
We fished with captain Patrick twice back in February. He is a very good charter, specializes in small 2-3 person charters and is just a great dude! We did a fresh water peacock bass/clown knife fish and a snook trip with him, both were well beyond our expectations! He has a very nice 1 year old 25' Carolina skiff and the newest Garmin electronics with live scope! We fished lake Ida for our freshwater trip and the lake Worth area for snook.
16255.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
496 Posts
Those clown knifes really intrigue me gotta try to catch one the next time I'm down there. Great pics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts