close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snare Question

Discussion in 'The Lodge' started by Eye Spy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. When coon hunting tonight, my dog was caught in a snare with no name attatched to it. After looking around, there are several other snares in the area with no names on them. The dog is fine, but I hate to think about what would have happened if we wouldn't have found her. I am going to talk to the land owner and try to find out who the snares belong to. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

2. I just took the test for a fur taker's permit and I have no experience, so take what I say with a grain of salt. It is certainly illegal to set any type of trap without a name and address tag. However, as I understand it, modern snares which have no springs or other devices to accelerate the tightening of the "noose" are unlikely to kill domestic animals when properly set. Theoretically, your dog should have been unharmed if you found it the next day.

This assumes that the snare was set legally and properly. (obviously, this one was not legal without the tag).

As I begin gaining trapping experience, snares will not be my first choice.

3. Eye Spy,
    Sounds like a call to the county wildlife officer is in order. Sometimes poachers (trappers) that don't have permission won't put their name tags on their traps to avoid being caught.

Todays snares that are legal in Ohio are designed to keep the catch alive, working like a choker chain for a dog, however there are instances where if the animal gets entangled in some brush, the snare can become lethal. Also, if the poacher didn't put his name on his snares, he may not be using snares that are legal in Ohio anyhow.

Trapper

4. Trapper,
    I was thinking about calling but didn't want to sound like I was whining. I am going to try to find out who it is, and then if I can't, make that call. Thanks for the input.