close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

snapped off steelies#2 (answers, not pot stirring)

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Crumdfargo, Dec 2, 2007.

1. To the original poster who said you broke off a fish: It happens! period, end of story, case closed. There are somethings that you can do to try to prevent this, though.
    1. after you break off, look at the end of the line. is the line kind of twisted and tweked? if so, it was your knot. Tie a better knot next time. If it is a clean break, it just snapped the line. These things happen.

2. 8lb stuff is pretty tough. It could be that you had a knick in the line and were unaware of it. It is absolutly unneccessary to retie your rig after every fish. Just look at the line, does it look bad? if so then retie, if not, have fun.

3. These fish like to roll a lot when hooked, causing the line to wrap around its body. this can stress the line something fierce. not much you can do but keep constant pressure on the fish and hope for the best. If you see it start rolling, try to steer the fish a different way.

4. It could be that your line just sucks. What brand is it, and how old is it? I personally use exclusively p-line 8lb and 6lb flouro and love it.

5. Somebody said this, i dont remember who:
    This is plain wrong, discard this message. No offense to whoever wrote this, but its wrong. Flouro is much more abrasion resistant than mono. Flourocarbon is some tough stuff, if you get the right brand. In my own personal tests, the 6lb pline is much stronger than even some fresh 8lb mono i had lying around. Flourocarbon is a hard line, it takes a lot to really mess it up. If you are using VANISH, throw it away and buy some p-line, which is no more expensive and much stronger and holds knots much better.

The thing to remember is that breakoffs happen, and its nothing to lose sleep over. The most important thing is that you actually hooked the fish and got to fight it, if only for a short time.

Hope this helps
    chris

2. i was using the 8lb vanish flourocarbon...so i guess that wasnt my best choice and thanks for all that input it really helps

3. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I use 4 and 6lb pline floro without any major issues.

flash----------------------out

4. That was to be my answer until the thread went south. Most of the fish that I lose are due to knot/nick problems. I will routinely run the last five feet of so of line between my fingers to check for abrasion. The type of line really doesn't matter - mono or floro. I'll also give the bait a tug every once in a while while holding the line in my other hand. The line will sometimes snap with just a little tug.

5. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

i have had about 4 of the biggest steel this season break me off this year... I was using 6 lb test gamma expensive good line... a noodle rod.. and a nice expensive reel with amazing drag... bottom line it happens i personally hate losing monster fish,...so after my recent outing i went out and bought 10lb test flouro. just for the added strenth and thickness to hold up to river cuts... only problem is i haven't been out since. some of the fish i lost my drag may have been set to hard, always check your drag. I tend to tighten my drag late in a fight to make sure i can turn the fish. but if i forget to adjust it, problems..
    Most of my breakoffs have came from with in 10 seconds of the initial hookup..I think alot of times the fish may hit a spinner going the opposite direction which would add more pull breaking you off...
    Using lighter line you will have to fight the fish longer so even if it doesn't break you off the longer the fight the longer the chance of the fish getting free. I have hooked 2 monsters that i didn't want to lose no matter what and would make sure i wouldn't break the line but after so many headshakes and runs i think they start to open up a hole where the hook is, making it easier for them to get off... just my .02
    everything else i read seemed to be on target.... bottom line its all part of fishing and its what keeps us coming back

6. The key to fighting bigger fish is to fight as hard as you can without breaking the line. They have a lot of energy and can last a longtime. Whatever you do, get the fishes head out of the current. Now that the water is cold, they can fight for seemingly hours, but the fight isn't as strong, so you should be able to horse them in after their initial run or two. Dont play the fish too long if you plan on letting it go, either. Too long of a fight can kill these fish. If your fish doesn't have any energy left when you land it, the battle was too long. There really isn't any need to use anything lighter than 6lb floro, even when the rivers are crystal clear.

I use a centerpin, so i make my own drag. The fish I lose are generally from the hook dislodging and not from snapped line. Having said that, I dont think spinning reels, even the expensive ones, can handle some of the surges of these hot fish.

7. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

i do the same..... i only had 1 brake off this year and it was a very large fish

8. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

ksu 4lb to 6lb

9. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Don't forget to spit on the knot before tightening it up.

10. Two things I feel are wrong with some of the posts that I've read,
    #1 re-tieing is not neccesary after landing a fish, this is great if you like playing russian roulette, but talk to any charter capt. or guide on the lakes and rivers and all the quality guys will tell you to re-tie period. Knots are only good for so long and are not as strong as they were when you first tied them after a fight with a fish on lighter lines.
    #2 there is absolutely nothing wrong with the drag systems of a decent spinning reel, and have NEVER come across one that couldn't handle the surges of a large steelhead.
    I have witnessed steelhead in the teens and even in the twenty pound classes that have had no problem being brought in on spinning gear. I have personally caught salmon in the 20-35 pound class on spinning gear with 10# test line without ever having a problem with spinning reel drags handling the surges.
    Now if you have an old reel that has a drag that is locked up, hasn't been taken care of, or just doesn't work thats a different story, but a reel that has been taken care of with a good drag should have absolutely no prblems at all.
    TRIPLE-J

11. There are many thoughts on fighting big fish. I use side pressure to throw them off balance keeping there heads out of the water column
    'the up-right position'. I primarily fly fish, but a spinning reel that has a smooth drag you will have no problem with large fish. As it was said before we have all landed big fish on spinning gear. When you get breakoffs are they coming back clean like your mono was cut, or does your line come back looking like a little pigtail?

12. I disagree strongly with both points you made, but oh well. I consider myself a "quality" guy and these points are what I have found to be true. Also, spinning reels inherently put twist in the line. By the very way they are designed, this is unavoidable. Twist weakens lines, thereby magnifying anything else you have wrong with your line. I usually get about 6 fish out of my tippet before I feel the need to retie. I like what one person said about giving it a quick tug, if it breaks, well you know what to do, but if not have fun and fish. Who feels like retying after everyfish when it is like 20 degrees out? not only did you just get your hands wet handling the fish, but now you are going to try to articulate knots with icicle fingers even though the line is A OK? The colder it gets, the harder it is to tie knots and the longer it takes. I have never found a need to retie after every fish. I caught the biggest steel of the year on tippet that had already seen 4 fish.
    I have never hired anyone to take me fishing, so i cant speak for any guides or charter captains. what i can say is that their livelihoods depend on you catching fish and having a good time. If you dont, you probably wont go back to that person and wont tell your friends to do business with them either. so, for them, the motivation to have reliable tackle is a little different than mine.

I didn't mean that you cant use a spinning reel to effectively fish for steelhead. All i meant was that sometimes the drag just doesn't startup quick enough to prevent a snapped line. Kudos to those of you whose use spinning gear, I personally dont care for it and have stated why

13. i think Vanish Transition is the best line. Haven't had any break offs and the hook gets set 90% of the time. VT lasts longer than the fireline I had last season (which seemed to fray all the time). I think the way your drag is set can make all the difference, if it's smooth, then you should be fine unless you get nicked up on the rocks.

14. I used to have break offs all the time, usually at the knot where I tie the jig to the line. I don't do anything differently now with the knot. In fact, I used to use 8 lb, now I use 6 lb Seaguar or P-line. The only difference I made is that I know how to manage my drag better now. My drag is never set tight, and after every hookset, I instantly loosen the drag. I then tighten it once I get a feel for how the fish is going to fight. Once I have a few fish under my belt for the day I could care less if I actually land the fish, so I will horse them in pretty good. The only time I lose the fish is if the hook bends or it just comes out of the fish's mouth.

15. Sorry if my post made it sound like I didn't think you were a quality guy, that was not my intention. Anybody that comes on here and tries to help a fellow angler is a quality guy in my book. My point was that I have talked with and fished with people who fish everyday for a living, and one of the best pieces of advice I have recieved from the majority of them is to re-tie. You can't feel a nick in the knot, or a weekn'd knot so why take the chance. Even in 20 degree weather you can tie a palomer knot in a few seconds. I know I went over 2 seasons without a break-off, and I feel that was because of what I learned and practiced from these people. If you feel comfortable not re-tying, thats great, if that works for you. But I know one thing, if I do lose a fish becase of a break-off I know for sure it wasn't because my terminal rigs were flawed because of a weekn'd knot or a nick at my knot. It was probably because I did something wrong in landing the fish.
    As far as line twist off a spinning reel, yea you do put some twist in while you're reeling in as your drag goes out. Your point in the other post was that spinning reel drags couldn't handle the surge of a steelhead and that was just flat out wrong.
    Triple-j

16. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

My .02 on handeling big fish. One way to effective check tippets or lines is to run it slowly through your lips. Lips are much more sensitive than cold hands and fingers.
    Also before you go out take your rig and attach it to a milk jug. fill the jug about a 1/4 full and try to lift the jug with the rod, going back a step attach a pully system to a table and thread the line through and attach to the jug. Stand about 30 feet from the jug. Now get into the rod find out where the back bone begins and study how the rod reacts the the pressure put on it. Add water to the jug as you go to determain what your rig can take. A full 1 gallon jug weighs about 12 pounds so you can work down to figure out your wieght. THis seems a bit of a pain but it will improve your abilty to effective use your rod to slow the fish and protect your tippets. Also fish are lighter in the water than they are on land becouse they are some what bouyant. Just like when we go swimming we are very light in the water. Be aware of your sinker system as well. crimp on sinkers will do just that crimp your line creating a weak spot. Try twist on or tungston puddy wieghts. Boss tin make a product called sticks. they are cylindrical in design and can be place with light pressure and still hold very well. Hope this helps guys.
    Off the subject but I fought a massive sturgon in Canada on a number eight hook and 10lb test for SIX hours. The fish jumped eleven time and was estimated at over 100lbs by the guide and was witnessed by many people on the river. I lost that fish when the line simply pulled apart. 100lb fish on 10lb test. I was heart broken and returning to camp with a crowd, holding cameras to see the fish was a bad experience. I was using a medium action BPS bait cast and a Shimano Bantem bait caster fish for walleye both held up very well and the drag on Shimano was a smooth as silk. Sorry to move away from the main point but just one example of loosing the fish of a lifetime it just happens sometimes. S

17. Good post Arch, Thats about what I do. I like to see what the rod can do after satisfying that intial urge to land a few. After catching a bunch last Friday I wanted to see what my new Okuma rod and reel setup could do and I was impressed by how much it could handle for being a step down from my St. Croix setup. I did here the rod creak alittle under the cork handle on a few of the bigger fish but it never broke and for alittle over a hundred bucks for the setup, well worth the money! Also, if you want to cut out the line twist factor, I use 8# P-Line Halo for my main line and I tie on a micro swivel and then I add what ever pound test I think I can get away with from there. When they go into those death rolls, the swivel becomes you number one defense against line twist and break offs. I think the number one point being made here is, break offs are going to happen at some point.

18. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

Archman is right. Set the drag fairly loose and you won't have any trouble.

19. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

1 gallon of fresh water is about 8.36 pounds.

20. KSUFLASH

KSUFLASH respect our rivers please

I agree with bassin420 on the swivel suggestion. I used to tie direct from mono backing to the floro leader. Now I use a micro swivel and my line twist is almost non existant. When it gets cold out, it is also much easier to tie to a swivel rather than line to line.

As far as drag, I set my more loose. I then tighten it up as needed when fighting fish.

flash----------------------------out