close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snakehead found swimming in lake Michigan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rainer Wolf, Feb 6, 2005.

1. An angler shore fishing a harbor saw it chasing other fish near surface and netted it. Yikes! It was 18 inches. Could be Big trouble. Article was in BassTimes.

2. catking

catking Banned

That's just freakin great :mad: ............... CATKING

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

can you imagine how big that snake would be, geesh the head was 18 iches, good thing most was missing.

bill

4. catking

catking Banned

You're a funny fellow billy_gfishless, and not funny Ha Ha ...... :p ....... CK

5. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

Isnt that the fish that can craw across land?

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I have had several of them, before the stink of corse. I love these fish. Yes they can survive for a while outside of H2O. I dont even think they are legally sold anymore.

7. well im not sure if they do this in Ohio, but a few shops in West Virginia and North Carolina(i think) and a few other states are giving rewards for Snakeheads brought in. i think a Snakehead over 18" would have gotten him a 100$ gift ceritficate in WV.

8. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i, for one, would like to catch a snakehead.. along with the other exotic species found here.. on purpose of course.. just for the heck of it..

9. The northern snakehead is from China gets up to 40" in length.

Do not release but kill it because they can live out of water several days, and can cause serious eco-problems.

Attached Files:

10. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'll personally cook her up bankside.. hows that for erradication?? :p

11. H2O Mellon

I wouldnt say kill it, allow a person to keep in it an acquarim where they belong. We cant just go around telling people to kill loose dogs in their neighborhood becasue they will kill the cats. Its not the fish's fault, it had to ahve been introduced by one of us!

12. kill it. They are illegal to posses now too. big mess

13. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Possession is why they are in the waterways now

14. Mellon, I feel the total opposite of you in this manner. Kill em all if caught. As far as loose dogs in the neighborhood? Let a mean dog growl at me or my kids one time on my property and it will be delivered back to the owners property after the dog warden is notified of its demise and the circumstances under which it happened.

Scott

15. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

I'm with Crappielooker, filet of snakehead. Who brought the tarter sauce?

16. H2O Mellon

I dont really expect anyone to agree w/ me on this, but I think i also look at it differently than anyone else on here. These fish used to me as close to me as any family dog. Hard to explain, plus it would take too much time. Sounds like a Jerry Springer Show: "How The Snakeheads Changed My Life"-

Oh yea, also when this was big in the news a couepl years ago, PETA (aka: The AntiChrist Organazation) tore the "Kill 'Em All" attitude to shreads. I think when we have views liek that, it adds fuel to PETA as well as other insane groups. Man, can you tell I hate PETA!

Anyways, guys we'll just have to disagree on this.

17. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

H2O, perhaps you don't know it but both crappielooker and myself are long time keepers of aquaria. I just recently downsized from 18 tanks to 3 so I know how certain fish can steal your heart the same way a breed of dog, or any pet can. They have personalities just like any pet can. But when any animal is released into a foriegn habitat it causes trouble. It upsets the balance of nature. And some of these fish get huge. A 40" snakehead will eat a 4 pound bass. It has no natural predators. It is no different than any ferral animal and if it is causing problems it needs to be dealt with. I would NEVER let one of my captive fish go into public waters but unfortunately some people buy the cute little fishy and he grows and grows and grows until he is to large to care for. No one wants it and the person doesn't want to kill it so he does far worse, turns it loose in the nearest lake.

I agree that they are beautiful fish but they are also a food source in their native land so why not here? Do you eat bluegill or crappie? Some people on here even keep them as pets. Does that make either of us wrong? No.

I respect your love for the creatures and if you caught one and took it home to keep as a pet, more power to you, so long as you had the neccesary equipment to house it. You obviously have enough knowledge of the species to maintain it. If I ever catch one though, I'll give you first dibs before I take the fillet knife to it. Deal? :D

18. H2O Mellon

Great deal. I understand how defastating they are if introduced into foreign waters. I just love these guys! I had my 66 gallon tank & these fish would stay inches from my head, I slept w/ my had near the tank, I can go on & on. I found one out of water one night, thought he was a goner, but sure enough i revived him. I think he was out of water for a few hours. It's amazing how their system is. Man they were cosly, I figured they'd (had 2 of them) go through 5-6 dozen of small glodfish & 1-2 meduim coments per week.

19. yea but they taste like chicken...ok im sorry

20. H2O Mellon

Most everything taste like chicken! -Why in the world do w eat all that other stuff that "taste like chicken" when we could just go & eat a real chicken?