close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snake questions (Sighted at AEP)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bigun, Aug 10, 2007.

1. I have a question for all the snake experts here. I saw a snake this week at AEP That I was not familiar with. It looked to be a yearling as it was only about 5 inchs long and smaller around then a pencil. It was light colored in the body with a dark triangle or diamond shapes on its back. I got a good look at it after it scared my wife:p . It was summing its self on the road at campground K and was probably 50 feet from the waters edge. Near the water pump For those who know the area. Now my question I looked through the DNR website and the closest I can find to it was a massasauga. But I can't find a good range map to help me figure it out. Also if it was one of this years hatch, would it have developed a rattle and a triangulated head yet, because neither was apparent.

2. A little further I looked at all the snakes listed on the DNR website and the closest match I can find is the Eastern Fox Snake But its range is confined to a few northern counties, So I am confused.

3. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

I'm guessing it was a Copperhead. They are in that area.

4. Copperhead.......

5. catking

catking Banned

Sounds like an immature black rat snake.The diamond pattern is a tell tale sign with young black rat snakes.Copper head young are very reddish in color and are easily identified.Rattlers ,even young, are not likely mistakened either. THE CATKING !!!

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I'm going with catking on this one, and even going throw in the idea that it may of been a water snake. Juvinile snakes, at least for the most part, are somewhat difficult to identify. Ohio really doesn't have that broad of a range of species so the first thing to ask yourself when looking at one you can't identify one is the area you found it. For the snake ya identified: Near the water? More than likely a water snake. In a feild probably a black rat.

It kills me how quick people on the board are to assume it's a venomous snake all the time. Sure they exsist in the state, but I've never one here. Without a photo, it's a little more difficult to properly identify them.

7. i saw a copperhead while shore fishing the muskingum at mconnellsville it was about 3 or 4 feet in length and had a small fish in its mouth one look and i turned an went the other way then one other time we were pulling up my moms drive and there in the drive way was about a 5 foot rat snake sunning himself, i picked him up and moved him off the driveway so he wouldnt gett killed boy my dad was having a fit he freaked out dont touch it dont touch it he yells it was classic since "nothing excites him".;)

8. I've been breeding, and studying herps ( snakes, and lizards ) for YEARS. The snake your describing sounds like a baby Black Racer. Black Racers are jet black in their adulthood but as juveniles have a rustic sandy brown color with darker brown " diamond patterns " on their back, and are VERY slim ( pencil like ). Do a google search for " baby black racer "

9. Micro_Mini_Angler

Micro_Mini_Angler live-2-fish

my cousin lives in Bladensberg, a little town outside of Mount Vernon and we were fishing in a runoff of the Wakatamika and saw a Copperhead also, as soon as we saw that we bolted out of the water, went down there the next day and saw 2 HUGE Black Rat Snakes. I MEAN HUGE

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

It's no doubt the famous KingCopperRattleCobra of OGF fame. Grab it, put it on a Gama 8/0 Oct Circle hook and go catfishing. :B

11. Im going with black racer. After looking at the pics of the juveniles I didn't know they looked so different. Here is the pic I used http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/images/snakeracerbabyhand.jpg And here I thought it was something cool, oh well I guess now I can convince my wife to go back down there with me.

Thanks everyone

12. i dont know much about snakes, but arent eastern milk snakes often mistaken for copperheads? i see them all the time.