Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got back from Tennessee last month. We visited Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. I never realized there were so many things to do in that area! Heck you could hike the mountains and get away from the people, or you could head to town and have endless things to do! Traffic was a bit of a pain. The drive up the mountain to the cabin was little unnerving. Steep cliff on one side and room for one vehicle on the road. lol Awesome time. I took along the GoPro to capture many of things we saw while visiting. I'm sure we missed some things. Have any of you been there, and have any recommendations if we go back? I even put the cabin we stayed in in this video. That place was awesome! The biggest decision everyday was what to eat. Too many places to choose from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's mine and the wife's favorite place to go. Been there a dozen times in the past few years. I went to school near middle Tenn, but east Tenn is our future home(4 yrs or so). I know a great guide for Douglas Lake or Cherokee.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My favorite place to get away, we normally fill a pac and head for the backcountry and rarely see anyone for days. I like to pack light and visit multi backcountry campsites and old homesteads. Plenty of small trout to be caught and the scenery can not be beat.

Where do you go to get away? I know when we head to Cades Cove it was really busy. I have a cousin there and she actually told me October is the busiest time of year there. I figured with all the kids in school it wouldn't be. Those old homesteads would be something we'd love to see.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,945 Posts
I am sitting in my non-summer home about 45-min away from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. I never go there during holiday or peak visitor season - too crowded... When I do go, I go in the other way - via Maryville - Townsend. More like the old TN... If you want to get out of the crowds, go north or south of the park into Cherokee National Forest. We trout fish quite a bit from Townsend - south to Chattanooga on the mountain streams. I can "hook-you-up" with great guides down here from stripers, musky, or trout (wading and float) - just drop me an email.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sitting in my non-summer home about 45-min away from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. I never go there during holiday or peak visitor season - too crowded... When I do go, I go in the other way - via Maryville - Townsend. More like the old TN... If you want to get out of the crowds, go north or south of the park into Cherokee National Forest. We trout fish quite a bit from Townsend - south to Chattanooga on the mountain streams. I can "hook-you-up" with great guides down here from stripers, musky, or trout (wading and float) - just drop me an email.
Wish I would have known before we made that trip. I'm definitely going to hit you up when we head back down there. What's the best time of year to go?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's mine and the wife's favorite place to go. Been there a dozen times in the past few years. I went to school near middle Tenn, but east Tenn is our future home(4 yrs or so). I know a great guide for Douglas Lake or Cherokee.
Definitely interested in the guide for Douglas Lake. My cousin lives on the lake and that's where I got that footage in the video from. She doesn't fish nor know anything about it. She did say there are several accidents every year during the water draw down. People hit submerged stuff with there boats that is usually 20 ft underwater.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
  1. https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm
The trail map will show tons of places to escape.
One of my favs is Deep crk. I prefer to go in off the Newfound gap rd, all down hill to the camp sites but the climb back out can be a little of a huff n puff for old guys like me.
Noland crk near Bryson city is an easy hike-- campsites 61- 64 are easily accessible and Good fishing but there are plenty of trails and Good Fishing in the park much closer to Gatlinburg. I avoid Cades cove it seems to draw to many people but prongs of the little pigeon and little river are scenic from roadside to as far into the backcountry you're willing to travel.
I saw a list of Waterfalls somewhere and always thought it would be a interesting trip to try and visit as many Falls as possible--- except when I'm in the park I can't stop fishing :)
Good luck and have fun

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,094 Posts
My buddy and his wife went there a couple years ago. Said it was amazing. They were there for a week, and said you'd need two weeks just to scratch the surface! They said the food was really good everywhere they ate, and my buddy told me he saw a store that was right up my alley. It was called "Guns and Golf"!

Reactions: garhtr

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,945 Posts
There is so much to do down here and winters are mild compared to Ohio. There is a great variety of water here. From my house, i can be on almost any freshwater fish with in 30-45min - rivers, lakes, streams too.

The other plus of TN is no income tax... of course sales tax sucks at almost 10% on everything except big purchases, they turn out about 7%.

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,945 Posts
Definitely interested in the guide for Douglas Lake. My cousin lives on the lake and that's where I got that footage in the video from. She doesn't fish nor know anything about it. She did say there are several accidents every year during the water draw down. People hit submerged stuff with there boats that is usually 20 ft underwater.
douglas is one of the few lakes that i have not fished. boated on it but not fished... i hear it is a good crappie and bass lake. i am mostly on melton hill, norris, cherokee, dale hollow, all their tail waters, and of course mountain streams.

on Erie, with a big 30' boat, i don't really worry about depth. In TN i am paranoid about depth and following the charts. you can be in 200' of water one second and the next, your motor and transom has been ripped out by a submerged ridge. yup, it does happen...

·
Fishin-For-Fun
1,945 Posts
Wish I would have known before we made that trip. I'm definitely going to hit you up when we head back down there. What's the best time of year to go?
you can fish for something any time of year here... for example the stripers are presently busting surface lures (winter thing). follow the sea gulls and you can cast into them. my son has taken stripers on fly rod like this.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can fish for something any time of year here... for example the stripers are presently busting surface lures (winter thing). follow the sea gulls and you can cast into them. my son has taken stripers on fly rod like this.

Nice. Nothing quite like a good topwater bite!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
douglas is one of the few lakes that i have not fished. boated on it but not fished... i hear it is a good crappie and bass lake. i am mostly on melton hill, norris, cherokee, dale hollow, all their tail waters, and of course mountain streams.

on Erie, with a big 30' boat, i don't really worry about depth. In TN i am paranoid about depth and following the charts. you can be in 200' of water one second and the next, your motor and transom has been ripped out by a submerged ridge. yup, it does happen...
Yikes!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My son and I backpacked the NC side up to clingmans dome and back down. Didn't really see anybody. This was in the spring. Nice country except for the big wild boars. We had one come into our camp during the day. He was probaly 300lbs. My wire and I went with some friends in the fall to see the leaves. We stayed in a very nice new cabin. Gatlinburg was a zoo. I would go again just maybe not during the peak times.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My son and I backpacked the NC side up to clingmans dome and back down. Didn't really see anybody. This was in the spring. Nice country except for the big wild boars. We had one come into our camp during the day. He was probaly 300lbs. My wire and I went with some friends in the fall to see the leaves. We stayed in a very nice new cabin. Gatlinburg was a zoo. I would go again just maybe not during the peak times.
Wow I didn't know about the wild boars! That's crazy. Gatlinburg was a zoo when we went. We actually tried to get to one of the trails and the parking was full and had to turn back around and head back. That's actually how I got the footage of Gatlinburg. Too many people for me. I had to get some space and peace of mind. Pigeon Forge wasn't as bad. I was able to at least take some back roads around the chaos.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
4 lanes of solid traffic and nowhere to park, no thanks. Used to go 3 times a year on my bike and never saw it like this. When we left for home (11:00 pm) it was solid traffic for 11 miles. I'm done with that area, Western TN is much better.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4 lanes of solid traffic and nowhere to park, no thanks. Used to go 3 times a year on my bike and never saw it like this. When we left for home (11:00 pm) it was solid traffic for 11 miles. I'm done with that area, Western TN is much better.
Yeah it was pretty insane when we got there. I had our place in the GPS and took like an hour to go the last 8 miles! Sunday was definitely the worst day of traffic for us.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
Wow Gatlinburg has changed since I was there 30+ years ago. Sleepy town and we camped 10 minutes from town. I thought the Hatfield- McCoy was a Kentucky- West Virginia thing not Tennessee.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts