Smoking

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Perchy101, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Smoking 101 - Please help...

I got a smoker yesterday and i'm new to that type of thing - I believe I understand the concept but just want some good pointers on how to set things up.

My 1st dish I will make is pull pork... Going to smoke it with charcoal and wood hopefully. I'm thinking Hickory.

Any other suggetions?

2. can you give us a little more info on type of smoker you have? For pulled pork, i'd make up a rub or buy a commercially available one and put on the night before. I'd also use a boston butt for the pork. I usually take mine to about 195 to 200 before taking it off. I will take it off at 165 or so and wrap in heavy duty foil then put back on smoker. take it off 195 to 200 and then I place it in a cooler lined with towels. It will stay warm for hours and it helps it pull better. Down side to using foil is you wont' get good "bark" on outside of it. I HIGHLY recommend a probe thermometer with remote readout. that way you you won't have to keep opening the smoker to check the temps. just insert one end of probe into meat and plug other in end to the transmitter or reciever. you cant really cook by time on a smoker, you have to go by internal temps. Also, do not add too much wood to smoker. you just need a chunk or two. too much smoke can make meat taste bitter.
    Also , i'd recommend joining or visting a few bbq sites. here are a few I like-
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/
    http://www.bbq-brethren.com
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

hope this helps.

3. Perchy101

I will be using a barrel type smoker.

I'm currently looking for a rub now and I will go buy the Boston Butt for the Pork.

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

i keep my smoking wood chunks in water for at least 24 hours before using them.(an old tupperware bowl works good)that keeps them from burning up too fast and they produce alot of smoke.experiment around with different types of wood on different meats.i like maple or apple the best on pork.
    i usually marinade my pork shoulders over night then use a rub on them before they go in the smoker.i always put the fat side up and poke holes into the meat with a knife so the fat will drain down through it.after they've been in the smoker for the necessary time i finish them up in the roaster inside.when the meat gets tender enough to pull apart i let it cool off then start with the pulling.
    what we don't eat right away will get vacuum bagged and frozen.it's good stuff to have when it's real cold outside!

5. jeffmo,

do you use chips or chunks? have have been using chips soaked for at least 24 hours but i seem to be using alot of them. 2 bags per smoke.
    thanks

6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Banned

If you're talking chips, like the type sold by Luhr Jensen, you need to put them in a small firebox. No need to soak them, just don't feed the flame air; dry wood smokes fine as long as you don't let it come to life with oxygen! I put mine in box a firebox I bought at Gander and/or 46 oz juice can. I use propane in a sidebox so set both over the flame in a way that they just smolder. With charcoal, you can set the covered firebox in the coals. With a juice or coffee can, you can wad up some tin foil to decrease the amount of air to the wood to get ton's of smoke out of a handful of chips. Two cups of chips in a firebox smokes for about an hour or so. I also put chunk wood in the can and get ton's of smoke without all the water.

7. firehawkmph

firehawkmph Retired Firefighter

Forget the chips and stick to chunks of wood. I don't soak mine for 24 hours, but that's alright to do if you have the time. Any of the fruitwood trees work well. Cherry, apple, pear. You can also find chunks at walmart, home depot, etc. Have fun with your smoker, you can't hardly mess anything up. Ribs, chicken, fish are all fun. Get a couple of rib racks if you want to fit more in there. If it's cold out you might want to look at getting one of the insulating jackets that snap around the smoker to help hold the heat in. Just keep it smoking, open up a couple of beers, smoke a cigar with a buddy and set the timer on your watch just so you don't forget to check it when you should. This can happen if you open a few more beers. I heard of this happening to some guy once........
    Mike Hawkins

Attached Files:

8. do you mean like a weber bullet? Brinkman? or a homemade one from a 55 gallon drum?(they make great smokers)

9. 2 bags per smoke? whoah...thats way too much! Switch to "chunks". I don't soak mine. I just put one chunk in smokebox at a time. I just like to see a whisp of smoke coming out top vent and often only for first couple of hours is enough.

10. Perchy101

I've got a whole bag of the Jack Daniels wood chips soaking now.

I bought a 5 lb Boston Butt thats in the fridge with a rub on it.

This is what it is... It sounds yummmy

Boston Bay Jerked Pork

Jamaican Jerk Rub

6 tablespoons onion powder
    6 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    2 tablespoons ground allspice
    2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons cayenne
    2 tablespoons sugar
    4 ½ teaspoons dried thyme
    4 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 ½ teaspoons of nutmeg

Jerk Mop

Remaining Jamaican Jerk Rub

3 cups cider vinegar
    1 medium onion, sliced thin
    4 garlic cloves, sliced thin

1. Night before combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Massage the pork well with about half of the rub. Transfer the pork to a plastic bag and refrigerate it overnight.
    2. Before you begin, take pork from refrigerator. Pat down the pork with another coating of rub, let pork sit at room temp for 45 mins.
    3. Prepare the smoker for BBQing bring the temp to 200-220.
    4. If you plan to base the pork, sit any remaining rub together with the mop ingredients and 1 cup water in a sauce pan and warm the mix over low heat.
    5. Transfer pork to smoke and cook for 1 ½ hours per pound – or until falling-apart tender. Mop the meat every hour.

11. jeffmo

i use chunks that i cut from my own trees.there always seems to be at least 1 limb that needs pruned up when i fire up the smoker!:)

12. Perchy101

Well its been a long, learning type of day...

But i'm getting ready to pull the roast off of the smoker... With having the chips I quickly ran out of wood and had to run to get more... Taking the top on and off I pretty much ruined the fire and had to get the charcoal going again and that was a PIA.

But over all the roast looks great and smells great... I will let you know how it tastes in a couple hours.

13. when you use the chunks of would from your trees do you let them dry out or use it green? i have apple, pear and grape in my yard. thanks for the help.

14. Fish2day

Fish2day member

It's 4 hours later. I bet you stuffed yourself and can't sit at the keyboard?

15. I think Perchy OD'ed on the pulled pork....

16. jeffmo

pa,i use them green but still soak them

17. i got a smoker for christmas. its a brinkmann smoker grill it takes charcoal and wood. how long do you think it takes to cook like a whole chicken ribs ham anything that can be smoked. im wondering if i need to just do smokin on the weekends when im home all day or if i can do it in a couple hrs. thanks

18. Perchy101

In the end - it wasn't bad for the 1st time... I wish it wasn't so windy yesterday I think that would of helped me out alot.

The pork was really good with a good kick to it.... If I would of used different wood I think it would of even been better.

Next on my list of things to "try" - Some Jerky and Fish.

19. Lot depends on temperature of smoker etc. You really cant go by time with a smoker..you need to go by internal temps or tenderness. ribs can take 4 to 5 hours....I cooked a whole ham and it was on for at least 6 1/2 hrs. whole chicken maybe 3 hrs??? You could do a chicken quarters in less time. with chicken , it doesnt hurt to ramp up temps a little. also might try using lump charcoal instead of briquettes as it burns hotter.

20. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!