close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoking Help

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by cheezemm2, Oct 3, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

No, I'm not trying to quit, I'm trying to start!

I have my wedding coming up and I'm trying to decide b/t charcoal and gas. (it's on the gift registry as charcoal right now)

Here's the kicker, I need to have the capacity to grill on the thing too. I know we have some smoking pros on here, so all advice is welcome.

Can someone educate me on the pros/cons of both and the relative downfalls of both? I lean towards charcoal because of the flavor and actually having to tend to it and having the ability to use wood in the same grill/smoker, but I'm worried about afterwards.

How long do I have to wait around for the coals to cool before I can empty the grill? I don't want any safety hazards, so if there's not a way to extinguish the coals quickly, I may have to go with gas...HELP!!!:confused:

2. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I like gas because it's pretty much set and forget. I don't want to be messing with a fire in the wee hours of the morning. My personal opinion is that the flavor comes from the wood, not anything else.

3. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

And now from the other side :D.

I'm charcoal mainly. I love messing the fire, keeping the temps right, the whole deal.

I've always been able to move my offset firebox smoker inside before going to bed. It does take a while but most of the time I open it completely up to burn off the remaining coal.

i also have an electric Brinkman. I makes some dang good eats too. I wouldn't mind adding a gasser someday - mainly for some "remote" smokes.

Any of them can turn out good Q - it mainly comes down to your own preferences and needs.

4. I am a fan of the charcoal! I have a chargiller super pro w/side firebox. using hardwood charcoal, I can get a chimmney of colas blazing in the same mount of time it takes to let a gas grill heat up.

I prefer the flavor of charcoal and live fire. I have grilled everything from pies to pizzas on mine. When I want to do some BBQ, then I use it as a smoker and get excellent results. I have done the usuall prok shoulders, beef brisket, ribs, fatties, cheese and then have used it to dry jerky, summer sausage and deer sticks.

I think you get the best of both worlds with it. If you were just looking for a smoker, then I would get a gas or electric vertical unit. But for all around work, it is very hard to beat the chargriller.

Congrats by the way!

5. if you're looking for a smoker that you can also grill on....you're choices will be a lot fewer. If money is no object, I'd go for the Big Green Egg. you can sear steaks at 600 degrees or smoke for 16hrs at 225 on one load of lump charcoal. downside is they are heavy (need cart) and pricey $1,000. My suggestion would be to get a SEPERATE unit for smoking and another for grilling. I have a cheap "great outdoors smoky mountain) that is gas powered and does a great job. You can find them for 129 to 149. For strictly grilling (charcoal) get a weber kettle. cant' go wrong there. While I like charcoal for grilling, I do most of mine on my weber gasser simply for the convienence.

6. Pike

Pike

I have the Chargriller Super Pro with SFB as well and really like it. You can grill in the main body and smoke meat in the SFB. Congratulations and good luck.

Pike

7. Thos Big Green Eggs are sweet. Pricey but sweet.

8. Check out the Bradley smokers. They use a wood "disc" that is fed automatically every 20 min. The discs area available in many different wood varieties.
    It also has a thermostat that allows you to keep a constant temp. The only downside is the disc's are a little pricey, but VERY easy to use with great results.

9. he was wanting something you could grill on too. they bradley's do look interesting though for strictly smoking.

10. I have all charcoal smokers, one bullet, and two offsets. I enjoy getting up at 5 in the morning and starting the smokers. Playing with the fire is half the fun. Where else do you get to play with propane torches, charcoal, wood, and meat. Also it gives you some time to drink some Jager and Red Bull. With that being said...

If I was to get a set and forget it type of smoker...to grill and smoke, it would be a Traeger, (pellet muncher) or a Big Green Egg. For the time being, I enjoy the whole process of learning a charcoal pit, so I won't be switching anytime soon. I also have a weber kettle to grill on and a Jenn Air gasser for the quick meals.

I would go with a smoker, a gasser, and a charcoal grill. It gives the wife something to buy you for holidays... ;) And you can always leave room to upgrade...

11. Yeah boatnut, I didn't read all the way through. The Bradley's are great for smoking though.