close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoking Ham

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by ShakeDown, Dec 7, 2004.

1. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Anyone ever smoke a ham? I was thinking about doing one for the holidays, and was wondering if anyone had some good recipes or tips. I've done fish, pork (butts/ribs/shoulder/tenderloin), beef (brisket, roasts), but never Ham.

TIA!

2. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Ya Talking fresh or already cured?

3. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

4. ShakeDown

Well, that's the thing...I'd LOVE to do a fresh ham, and start from scratch. I assume that supermarket butchers can hook me up with that? Or do they primarily only carry cured hams?

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

6. ive used apple cider in my drip pan and every so offen i would brush honey on it.... :D :D :D nice........
    fish4wall

7. Hook N Book

ShakeDown,
    You can get a fresh ham at most butchers but you'll probably need to give them advance notice if they don't normally carry them. This is a good time of year to find them though. Start by curing in "Mortons tender quick" for about 3-5 days. Use a syringe to get the solution all the way down and around the bone. While curing store it in a cold place were the temp will not exceed 40 degrees F. The fridge works best. After curing, let the ham soak in luke warm water for 2-3 hours to pull out excess salt. Mix together some dark brown sugar, molasses, ground allspice (dried pimentos), and a little cherry juice. Score the ham to a depth of about eighth of an inch making a crossing pattern on the ham. Very liberally rub this mixture over the entire ham. This puppy is now ready for the smoker. I prefer the hickory for most pork cuts but other woods work just as well...try some nut shells thrown in with the regular wood chunks, you'll be surprised. Along with your water a little citris works well in the water pan with an apple, bay leaves and onions. Use a low heat (170-190) and smoke for an extended time reloading your fuel source often to maintain even heat (if it's a charcoal unit).

8. Get one that is already cured and your good to go...
    I also wrap mine in cheese cloth to keep it moist as possible...
    Here are a couple recipies that I use that I got somewhere off the WWW

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Maple-Mustard Ham

This is a resmoke recipe, meaning you talk a fully cooked ham, give it a good, flavorful coating and then recook it indirectly over a low temperature on your grill for a couple of hours. Adds great flavor to an already prepared ham.
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 5 pound boneless ham, fully cooked
    3/4 cup maple syrup
    3/4 cup Dijon mustard
    PREPARATION:
    Soak about 4 hickory wood chunks in water and drain. Clean and trim excess fat from ham. Preheat grill and prepare for indirect cooking with a large drip pan under where the ham will go. Pour in hot tap water to fill pan half full.
    Add soaked wood chips to the fire. Oil hot grid to help prevent sticking. Place ham on grid directly above drip pan. Grill ham, on a covered grill 20-30 minutes per pound, until meat thermometer in thickest part registers 140 degrees F. For best flavor, cook slowly over low coals, adding a few briquettes to both sides of the fire every hour, or as necessary, to maintain a constant temperature. Add more hickory chips every 20-30 minutes. While the ham cooks mix syrup and mustard in small bowl. Set aside most of the syrup mixture to serve as a sauce. Brush ham with remaining mixture several times during the last 45 minutes of cooking. Let ham stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with Maple-Mustard Sauce.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey Glazed Smoked Ham

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 pound ready to eat ham
    1 cup pineapple juice
    3/4 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup honey
    1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoon dry mustard
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    PREPARATION:
    The night before you smoke, mix together the pepper, paprika, sugar, salt, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard and cayenne. Rub over the surface of the ham, wrap in foil and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
    In the morning remove the ham from the refrigerator and let it sit for 1 hour. In the meantime prepare the smoker. You will be smoking at about 210o for 6 hours. Mix together the chicken stock, 3/4 cups of pineapple juice, vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, and cloves. Warm over medium heat until completely mixed. Place ham in smoker and baste with sauce once every hour. While the ham is smoking prepare the glaze by mixing together the honey, 1/4 cup on pineapple juice, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard and a pinch of ground cloves. Brush generously with glaze a couple of times during the last hour of smoking

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Southwestern Smoked Ham

This is not the ham you think it is. This recipe starts with a fresh (or uncooked, uncured) ham. This means what you are going to get is a great pork roast with a ham like flavor and texture. Don't plan on this being like the hams you get at the store.
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 10 pound fresh ham
    6-8 dried chipotle chiles
    1 red bell pepper
    1 yellow bell pepper
    2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/3 cup dried minced onion
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped finely
    8 cloves garlic, cut into small pieces
    2 tablespoons ground chipotle chile
    4 teaspoon salt
    PREPARATION:
    Mix together the pepper, ground chipotle, minced onion, salt, and parsley. Skin and remove excess fat from ham. Rub with mixture. Prepare smoker for a 8-10 hour smoke at about 200o. Soak several large chunks of hickory and add to fire once the coals are ready.
    Cut several 1 inch deep holes into the ham and insert garlic pieces. Place in smoker. Add additional hickory chunks as needed, about every four hours. While ham is smoking prepare chipotle sauce. Cook and mince chipotle chiles as directed on package. Roast bell peppers over open flame until blistered on the surface. Place in cold water to chill. Peel bell peppers and chop into small pieces. Place in large bowl. Add chipoltes, honey, vinegar and cilantro. Stir together and let sit at room temperature. After 8-10 hours of smoking check the ham for doneness. The middle of the smoked ham should be 160o. Remove Ham from smoker and let stand for about 20 minutes. Cut smoked ham into 1/2 inch thick slices and server with sauce

9. ShakeDown

Thanks guys...that's exactly what I needed to know.

Sounds like I might have been a little eager in thinking I wanted to cure my own. If I go that route, will it be obvious if I screw it up? I'm cooking for 12, and I'm willing to take the safer route than possible ruin a holiday meal.

10. Read this.. http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-223/458-223.html
    then go with the cooked ham recipies LMAO ;)

11. Hook N Book

ShakeDown, You can't go wrong with the Mortons Tender quick method. However, since you are having several guest it may not be the right time to experiment with curing a fresh ham if you've never tried it before. Dry cures are very time consumming and requires highly sterile and controled conditions. Tender quick can be used as both a dry and brine type cure. I usually use the brine method because it's quicker and there's virtually no chance of contamination of the meat. Try experimenting with it when you're not expecting company for dinner you won't be disappointed.

FYI: Use 1 lb. of tender quick to every 2 1/2 gallons of water.

12. ShakeDown

Yeah, sounds like I need to stick with an already cured ham until I get my feet wet. Thanks for the heads up guys!

13. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

Got a 24 lber in the freezer we cured with tender quick - not for the cure but for the cured flavor. Smoked (not the cooking type smoke) with hickory and apple.

14. ShakeDown

Once again, THANKS for the advice guys.

I smoked two 7.5lb bone in halves, and used the modified Honey Glazed ham recipe from Clyde. Did the rub, but used brown sugar (and lots of it) instead of white sugar, used apple cider in the water pan, and used pureed pineapple chunks, honey, and cider as my glaze (the stuff looked like a gooey applesauce).

Ham's turned out to be OUTSTANDING, and my family and friends said it was the best ham they had ever eaten (like they're gonna tell me it sucked, hehe).

Can't thank you guys enough for the assistance!

Happy Holidays!

15. I'm thrilled... sounds like you had them eating out of your hands LMAO...

Now comes the hard part my friend...
    You are now the "MAN" and will be called upon in the future to serve up some of your now world famous ham at most any family/friend function...

I tell you what else will blow them away when the ham thrill fades LOL

Smoked chicken...
    MY favorite all time meal from the smoker...
    The best way to smoke a chicken is to use a whole chicken that you have cut the back out of... This will allow you to lay the chicken breast side up and the bird will get more smoke flavor and cook faster and look awesome!!!
    After cutting out the back you soak the chicken overnight in one gallon of water with which you have desolved 1 cup of kosher salt and 1/3 cup white sugar...
    Smoke at about 220 degrees until the temperature at the center of the chicken breast reaches at least 165 degrees. Watch this temperature closely because you don't want to get to far above 165.
    Smoking one 4 pound chicken will take about 4 hours...
    Its really that easy...
    You can add a rub of your own liking to the chicken after you remove it from the marinade and experiment as much as you like but a good chicken rub usually has sage, thyme and bay leaves. These flavors go along way with chicken and enhance the natural good taste of the bird...
    ENJOY :D