close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smokers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chucky, Aug 19, 2007.

1. I been wanting to make a smoker. I seen a few home made one made out of a old fridge. It looked pretty good.
    I was thinking of cinder block? 12in or 6in block. Make a hut the size of a outhouse and put doors on the front. A fire box off the side piped into the side of the block into the hut/smoker. Will cinder block be ok to use?

Can anyone that has smokers post some pics of them? Home made or store bought. Pics of them in use would be great!!

2. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

3. check out www.smokingmeatforums.com i'm sure those guys will be able to help you out. lots of good people on there, its a lot like this site.

4. Justin and twistertail thanks for the links! I like that Dowell smoker also but that Wilbur one made from brick is awesome! I'm not sure if I'm ready to concore that big of a pit YET. lol I am ready and able to make that Dowell smoker. I register to smokingmeatfourms and its a great site like you said twister. It seems if you got any questions they will help.

5. Cinder blocks or bricks would work great depending on how you make it . I made one last year out of 2 cardboard boxes and a hot plate . One like that wont last long though . My dad made one out of a refridgerator when I was a kid but he had to pre burn it to get the paint, insulation, and plastic burnt off and it still made the smoked fish taste funny for a while . The best thing to use to make one would be steel 55 gallon barrels . One made from cinder blocks with a seperate firebox to keep the heat out but let the smoke in should work good though . I was thinking of making one last year and posted a question about it........then my wife bought me a smoker for my birthday.

6. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

I checked out the site you posted boatnut. Can''t read any posts until registered and they throw new users into a moderation queue so I'm still waiting to see what they go going on.

7. did u register? not sure about the "moderation queue". I could start looking at posts right after i registered but thats been few years ago.
    if you have probs, shoot me a pm.

8. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

I did. They're probably putting new users in a moderation queue these days to cut down on spammers.