close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoked Steelhead Recipe

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by saintmathew, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Smoked Steelhead on a Weber
    (You can also use this for an electric or regular smoker too. Recipe also works for Salmon, except I use more Alder and Cherry for Salmon)

Smoker/Grill Setup
    I prefer Weber Kettle grill for smoking. I find I get better results than an expensive smoker. The way I set up the Weber for smoking is to open the vent on the bottom of the grill in the direction of the wind flow completely open. I build a coal fire right underneath the open vent. I have a cake pan filled with water on the opposite side. Clean your top grilling grate very well and spray it with some non stick pam. All the greases and fats will drain off into the pan too. Keep the grill covered at all times and use one of those metal kitchen thermometers to check heat flow. Keep coals nearby to regulate heat. Start adding your soaked chips to the coal fire when there is nothing but a gray coal ash on top and a good glow underneath the heat. Guys do it all different than the next guy, but I keep my temp always at 200-150 F for a slow smoke. Just keep an eye on the meat. Don't over smoke it. You will know if it turns black. Keep the therm. over the food, placed right through the top vent which should be over the food.

Brine
    You can never brine TOO long. Here is what I use for a brine mixture. This is per. 10 lbs of Steelhead or Salmon (I use the same recipe for salmon too).

1 cup of pickling salt (or any salt that is non-iodized)
    2 gal cold water
    2 lbs. dark brown sugar
    1 bottle red or white wine
    1 32 oz bottle Teriyaki sauce
    6 oz each of garlic and onion powder
    4 oz of pickling spice
    1 oz of cinnamon
    1 oz of mace
    1/2 bottle of Wright's Liquid Smoke (only add for extra smoky flavor)
    1 whole jar of Spice Rack Italian Seasonsing

Mix all the ingriedients in a 5 gallon bucket lined with a garbage bag pulled over the brim. Let stand for one hour and set outside. It's a great temp outside for smoking.

Place fish filets in brine and keep skin on Steelhead. Stir brine every two hours and marinate for at least 12 hours. After the brine, remove fish from brine and rinse brine off thoroughly in cold running water. Let fish air dry for at least 1 hour, you want the flesh to get a "tacky" surface on it.

Smoking Chips
    As far as what to use for smoking chips and where to get them I suggest two you do not make a huge issue out of this. Chips are not hard to find. I always use Hickory, Mesquite, and Apple wood chips for Steelhead. For Salmon I use Mesquite, Alder, and Cherry chips. Soak your chips in water for about an hour before smoking. Test the coals with the chips before you start to smoke and look at the temp. When it gets to about 200, lay you fish on the rack over the pan and close the top immediatley. Chips will smoke for about an hour. Smoke fish for at least 8 hours.

Where to get chips:
    The Rodmakers Shop in Strongsville, OH sells all your hard to find chips, but I found Wal-Mart sells compressed Hickory and Mesquite chips, as well as Apple and Cherry sticks in a bag. They are called Smokin BBQ brand pellets. You place a handful in a tund can and place can right over coals. They smoke even longer than chips do and right now they are only $2-$3 bucks at Wal-Mart in the garden section. I got a ton at the Wal-Mart on Brookpark Road in Parma.

Resources:
    The Rodmakers Shop- http://www.ohiosteelheaders.com/Sponsors/Rodmakers_shop.htm

Smokin BBQ- http://www.smokin-bbq.com/

Smoked Salmon Using Alder Wood- http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/Alder.htm

Enjoy the Results!

[​IMG]

PS. In the pic I was using a homemade smoker box for the Smokin BBQ pellets. I was testing them out. They sometimes make too much smoke!

Mathew