close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoked Chicken

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by atrkyhntr, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I will be smoking some chicken in a day or two so thought I'd post my way of making the best I've ever tasted...

Brine

2 chickens; (3 1/2 lb. each)
    1 gallon water
    3/4 cup salt
    2/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon, thyme, black pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Rub

1/4 cup salt (non-iodized)
    3 Tbs Brown Sugar
    2 Tbs Black Pepper
    1 Tbs. Garlic Salt
    1 Tbs. Paprika
    1 Tbs. Chili Powder
    1 Tsp. Sugar
    1 Tsp. Onion Powder
    1 Tsp. ground Cumin
    1 Tsp. Red Pepper (optional)

Wash birds inside and out.

Cut the back out so they lay will lay flat breast side up. This will ensure an even brine soak and even smoking plus the when done they look super...

Place the water in a large non-aluminum container,add the salt and sugar and stir to dissolve. Add soy sauce, tarragon, thyme and pepper.

Submerge birds in brine and weigh them down with a heavy plate so that they stay submerged. Refrigerate overnight.

Remove birds from brine and gently rinse inside and out.

Pat dry.

Reserve brine.

Start smoker (see types of wood below) add soaked wood or wood chips, then fill water pan with reserved brine and add water if needed.

Mix the rub ingredients by shaking in a large plastic bag or covered bowl. Rub over chicken on all sides especially any meat that is not covered by skin. Look the chicken over and when in doubt put more rub on...

Place chickens, breast side up, on top rack of smoker. Cover and smoke at 200 to 250F for approximately four hours, until internal temperature of the thickest part of the thigh reaches 170F.

Baste with olive oil after two hours.

If your in a hurry after all the smoke clears you can complete cooking in the oven by simply covering the chicken in foil and backing at 250-275 till internal temps reach 170F in the thickest part of the thigh. This helps when cooking alto of chickens and time is an issue. You will not be able to tell either way how they were finished in oven or not same end results.

I like the following wood or wood chips; apple, cherry, hickory, mesquite and I always try to use fresh cut wood when I can and chunks over chips. Chunks last longer and give off smoke for longer periods of time...

This is a very good way to smoke your chicken. Ask me any questions you may have I'll try to help...

2. DANDE

DANDE DANDE

Thanks Clyde For The Recipe. I Will Try It. Thanks For All Your Posts Also. Have A Happy Easter. Dande

3. HAPPY EASTER right back at you from mine to yours Dande... :D
    That chicken is awesome...
    Wait till I post about how to do ribs ;)

4. Smoked some salmon today. Used alder and mesquite combo-I can't stop tastin it-is there a 10 step program for that??????

5. hahahaa...
    Plenty of wash maybe... Sometimes with salmon/fish the taste can become overwhelming man... The only trick I know is to eat smoked cheese and crackers or a hard crusted bread with it...
    Poultry does not have that problem...