close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smoked Brisket (with picture)

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by BigV, May 11, 2010.

1. BigV

BigV BigV

Here’s a picture of the small 6 pound brisket I smoked over the weekend using my Smoke Hollow electric smoker.
    Rubbed it down on Thursday with my secret rub and wrapped it in cellophane and refrigerated it for 2 days. Unwrapped it and let it sit for 2 hours at room temperature on Saturday. Smoke it for 4 hours at 225 degrees using hickory chips. Took it out after 4 hours and wrap it in cellophane and then foil and smoked for another 2 hours at 225 degrees. Wrapped it in towels and rested it for 1 hour before slicing.
    It turned out great!

[​IMG]

2. Mykidsr1

Mykidsr1 Aquaholic

Wow has my mouth watering already.

3. looks awesome! i've heard of wrapping in plastic but i've only ever used foil. I wish briskets were not so expensive. Kills me to read on other boards about guys getting them for half what we pay for them around here.

4. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Mike, what's your idea of expensive?

I've never heard of the concept of wraping in plastic. I'd be a little skeptical of it melting, but hey, whatever works. ;)
    Looks mighty tasty. Did you cut slits in it length-wise for deeper seasoning penetration???

5. man I can hear ole misfit's gut growling all the way down here after seeing that picture.:D

6. BigV

BigV BigV

Using food grade commercial plastic wrap (available at Sam’s Club or BJ’s Club) makes an airtight seal and hold the moisture in. Foil does not make an airtight seal. Wrapping in foil after the plastic wrap adds an insulation barrier. The food grade plastic does not leave any plastic taste that you would get from other plastic wraps.

7. well last time i was at Sam's, a brisket flat was like 3.29 a lb. I consider that expensive when these texas dudes are getting it for next to nothing! :)

8. BigV

BigV BigV

The plastic wrap is designed for high heat and I have never had a problem with it melting. The heat actually causes it to shirk wrap around the brisket.

I always cut the fat cap in a criss cross pattern down to the meat and insure plenty of rub get inside the slits.

9. BrianSipe17

BrianSipe17 Brilliant!

Commercial grade plastic wrap doesn't melt when covered with foil. Restaurants do it every day.

10. Hook N Book

You did say cellophane...my mistake, I had the everyday saran wrap stuff in my head. :confused: I suppose it would be similar to the roasting bags, makes sense now. :D

11. Could also use a large (turkey size) roasting bag. A bit more expensive but without having to buy the larger quantity commercial plastic wrap. Has anyone used the plastic + foil method with a pork butt?

12. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but did you wrap the brisket in the cellophane, then the foil, and then throw that whole thing in the smoker??? As you stated, the cellophane creates an air-tight seal, so what woul be the purpose of throwing back into the smoker??? The smoke would nenver touch it because of the cellophaner wrap. Or... am I missing something.... wouldn't be the first time;):D

13. BigV

BigV BigV

Yes, that’s what I said. Wrap it and then put it back in the smoker.
    You are absolutely correct in your comment that the smoke would never touch it.

Typically when smoking, meat will not absorb much more smoke after 4 hours of smoking. Continuing to smoke without wrapping would only dry the meat out.

I put it back in the smoker to continue to cook it. As I stated in my original post, I smoke brisket for 1 hour per pound. Smoke it for 4 hours then wrap and continue to cook until done. If it’s a 10 pound brisket I would smoke for 4 hours than wrap and cook an additional 6 hours.

I use the smoker to continue to cook, but you could use the oven as well.

14. Hook N Book

I hit a local butcher during lunch today and while there inquired about their brisket prices. It was $5.99/lb. Sounds like a Texas road trip is in order. ;)

15. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Did you use the super secret Texas dry rub?

16. BigV

BigV BigV

Yes sir I did!!

17. LOL...We BBQ guys are weird as hell, generally speaking we cook cuts of meat that are less desirable than most, we use low and slow cooking methods to break down connective tissue and extract every bit of flavor and tenderness we can out of meat. If there is a whacky way to do something we've likley tried it. Brisket is just about as hard as it gets when it comes to cooking, there is very little fat and its a tough, tough cut of meat, if you can cook brisket you can cook anything.. I do alot of brisket but only happy with my result about half of the time...That brisket there looks great.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010