close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smoke a 20lb turkey????

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by fish4wall, Nov 22, 2004.

1. ok i just got a 20lb turkey for $5.00.... :eek:
    i think meijer had them missed priced :D
    well i smoked a 12lb bird last year and i know rule of thumb is 1hr per lb.
    how long should i smoke it for...and should i take the wings and legs off???
    and put them on the lower rack.
    any onfo would be great....
    thanks
    fish4wall

2. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

If you soak your bird in a salt and sugar brine for a couple of days first, it'll be a lot better. As far as for how long...it depends on how hot your smoker gets. I'd say 10 hours should be plenty of time...and I'd leave it whole too!

3. If its really thawed, then 10 hours sounds right to me too. I did two 13 pounders this past weekend. The temp on this electric smoker ran at about 230 degrees. And 5 1/2 hours (on condition) and they were just right. Used wet smoke (filled the water bowl with scalding hot water) and I think it maintained the moistness.
    If your smoker is like mine (electric), then the outside temperature becomes a big factor in winter-like weather. It is supposed to be cold on Thursday, so you might fire some charcoal up on the side and toss 6-8 hot coals in every hour or so. Here was rub that I used - warning... it is addictive:
    1/4 cup paprika
    2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. ground cumin
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    2 Tbsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp. ground red pepper (cayenne, or whatever you have)
    Olive oil on the turkey before the rub. This was easily enough rub for a 12 pounder. Double the quantity would probably be too much for a 20 lb. Cutting off the parts would definitely make 10 hours enough. If you do, I'd check it with the meat thermometer after 6 hours.
    Man, you got a great deal on that bird.

4. Fastlane

Fastlane Fishless as usual

This will be the first year in 4 years that I haven't smoked the bird. We always get a 20lb range bird and I used a Brinkman charcoal/wood smoker. I would put it on at around 10 @ night (earlier if it was really cold or snowing) and fill the bin with good charcoal and not the cheapo generic stuff. Every 4 hrs or so I would add more charcoal (no matchlight) as needed and top up the water in the water bowl. I always did the bird whole and I used Jack Daniels smoker chips soaked for a few hrs. I would add these with every charcoal top up. The smoker would maintain between 180-210 and it normally would be prime and ready around noon to 1. Next time I will try the rub though. It sounds delicious!!! :)

5. What about smoking just the breast? Is there anything to do so that it doesnt get too dry?

6. thanks for the info...
    TheKing that rub sounds ggggggggggoooooodddddd!!!!!
    this is my 2nd turkey ive smoked. i read on a web site that you shouldnt
    smoke anything over 12lbs....
    by the way i have a gas smoker and my temp gage reads low just right and to hot.....

for the osu game this weekend i smoked 3 chickens 2 of them i used this yogurt rub...
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp salt.
    mix well then i covered both birds and i let it set over night....
    then i soaked my hickory chips in apple cider overnight.
    and in the water pan i put in a gal of cider......
    everyone was crazy for the chickens.... :D :D :D
    fish4wall

7. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

but I couldn't ever get the durned thing lit. BWAHAHAHAAAA

OK, it was stupid. Somebody had to fill in for WD.

UFM82

8. UFM82 if you keep the feathers on it will then you can keep it lit....lol
    fish4wall

9. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

I find that the beak keeps poking through the paper! :eek:

10. OK Fish4wall. I have to try that cider smoke recipe. Am looking forward to it. I got the bird (turkey) and will light it up ( :p ) this weekend. I may do a couple of pheasants also.

11. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Trapped in New York!

Pheasant... mm.. haven't had that since I was a kid!

12. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

BWWWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA! Thanxboss, like major beer shootin thru my snoot!!! Ummm ' which end do ya' lite? :D Raider<><>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015