close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smith Pond in Middletown

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Catfisher, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Can anyone tell me anything about Smith Pond in Middletown.
    Like how deep it is, is it pretty much the same all over (bowl shaped) ?
    What can you catch there and where to fish ? (I'm not asking for your secret spots just an idea of where to maybe start)

2. Catfisher,

I fish Middletown. I've never heard of Smith Pond. Can you tell me where it is? Perhaps it has more than one name.

Catslammer Out

3. It's by the skateboard park on verity Parkway. I know where you're talking. I've never been there.

Catslammer Out

4. I've been to Smith park many times even fished it a couple of times, I really don't think it's worth messing with unless you don't have many options open at the time. Every time the subject comes up the response is always, skip it and go to the river. There are fish in there but I don't think there is much of any size to it. I think they do hold a kids fishing derby there in the summer though.

5. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Not sure of the depth. Been there a long time now. I've caught some small gills there. I've seen some HUGE carp in there though. I think there are some yeloow belly cats in there, not sure about channels or any others.
    Yeah what they said, go to the river!

6. Smith Park Lake - I live just a few minutes from there. It is about 5 or 6 acres. I have pulled several Fish Ohio (26" and better) carp and channel cats from there. This pond tends to get stocked (illegally so) by the locals by just about everything that swims. Anything that swims in Ohio has been put in there. The lake is an old gravel pit and is supposedly in excess of 30' deep in some spots. Fishing there is not easy and substantial chumming is needed to catch the carp and cats with consistency. The bluegill fishing is very poor. The largemouth bass receive constant pressure and are not numerous or easy to catch.

7. I fished there Wednesday night. I can see that that pond does get a lot of pressure. I caught (1) crappie. That was it.

Catslammer out.

8. bugtussel

bugtussel Banned

Just a note here. It was an old gravel pit. After that it was a paylake before the city took it over. I used to work with this older fellow over at AK who told me there were monsters in there. He said they caught a few over 30#.
    BT

9. How is the smallie fishing on the GMR in this area? I have been looking for a place to put-in a kayak, is the parking lot close to the river? Thanks!

10. bugtussel

bugtussel Banned

Fishing can be excellent. Last few years Middletown police were running people off. Something about Miami Conservancy district