close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smelt ?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by crooked stripe, Feb 2, 2005.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe fishn and flyn

Do they bite on the same size jig as the gills and perch or is there a jig with multiple hooks(size 12-14) like the ones used in salt water for bait fish?

2. They are really small mouthed and you'd be better served using #12-14 size hooks with 3 tied to your line via a drop loop or simular...
    You only have to cut off the heads and run your thumb down the inner spine to remove entrails woosh around in water and done... Bones will completely cook up in any 8" or smaller with some of the bigger ones needing to be fillet...
    I cook mine in a beer batter deep fried at 300-350 degrees...

3. crooked stripe

How big do they get. I thought they where all small. I have had them many times. Good eatin. Just never fished for them.

4. ...pretty much this year they have stayed in the 6-7 inch lenght but in years past I've seen them 9-10 inches and when they get that big the bones may not cook all the way and you may want to fillet them... Anything over 10 inches is not normal and pretty rare... After zebra mussles came in and cleaned out the lake smelt have suffered in both numbers and size... I gave up fishing for them after a few years a decline and now see they seem to be making a good comeback...

5. crooked stripe

This time of year when the smelt are in they sell them fresh at Klines Seafood on Grant St. in Akron. I buy them there. Like 4-5 bucks a pound. Much cheeper than a trip to Erie. A couple of pounds makes for one good meal for the wife and I. If there was a place close I would give the fishing thing a try. With Mogadore just 2 minutes away I can have as many gills as I need and that keeps my fish cravings under controll. Thanks atrkyhntr for all the info. John

6. Hey John maybe I'll give you a shoot one day and trade some smelt for some gills ;)

7. You been out for smelt recently?????

8. I was thinking of going thurs evening ... I have my kids this weekend so that is out of the question... I don't have any ice fishing gear my brother lost or whatever with mine so I may see if there are a couple holes I can use that won't take much effort to re-open LOL

9. we fished edgewater yesterday, (weds) hoping for a steelie but none to be had down there. Haven't seen one on the ice yet. Guys down there said there's a wall of slush under the ice at the entrance just beyond the steel wall keeping them from entering. It's possible I guess as the water temp at the bottom is right at 32 degrees, surprisingly cold if my camera is accurate.
    Tons of smelt, we were catching some on small pimples tipped with maggots, kept 12 just to see if they are as good as you all say. They go nuts when you move the bait, swarm the bait but they're hard to catch. I bet you could get a lot at night. There was a big largemouth hanging around too but he would just watch the activity.

10. Clyde...I would like to give smeltin' another shot, but I don't think I would be able to make it up there this evening.

11. Lets shoot for next weekend and hope the ice either holds out or goes away completley...