close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smelt report

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Shortdrift, Jan 8, 2009.

1. No, I didn't catch them. I bought some frozen and some fresh. Frozen were about 4" and fresh around 8" (nice and fresh}. Coated with mix of tatoe buds and flour and deep froed with some hash browns. I preferred the small ones as you could eat the bones without any problem. The big ones had to be stripped like you would a trout but their rib bones are thin and detach from the spine to easy. All in all It was a good meal and will tide me over until (hopefully) the smelt come in on Erie.:)

2. its been a long time since i've have fresh smelt. tried some frozen, which wasn't bad, but not fresh. can i ask where you bought them? i'm working in Medina right now, so if its not too far away, i'll pick some up. thanks

3. Buehlers Supermarket on Rt.18 about1/2 mile West of 71.

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

this got me thinking that i haven't had smelt since my father passed away in 1986.he use to make them for the family and it sure was a great meal.he grew up in the depression and learned how to cook most anything that you could shoot or hook!
    frog legs,snapping turtle,blue gill(& their eggs!),catfish,squirrel(better than i've had since),pheasant,rabbit,quail.he'd cook alot of it in a pressure cooker and it'd come out so tender you could cut it with a fork.
    when he'd come back from a perching trip on erie his fingers would be tore up from taking so many off of the hook(way before the limits!).
    thanks for the post shortdrift!,it put a smile on my face:)

5. I really hope to get some smelt this year, been a long time. Used to go to Michigan every year and dip net them in the surf or along the piers in lake Huron. On a good night you could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with a half dozen dips! I've fished for them through the ice like you guys do but I want to give it a try. I love those little guys!;)