close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smashing Smallies

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Live2Fish, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Fished below Oshay Monday morning and had a ball. I tried several flys with no success and finally tied on a tap/cooper bug. BAM!! Started hitting smallies like crazy. I had one that had to be between 3.5 to 4 pounds and just as I was getting him close enough to grab it jumped, did some thrashing and saw the fly fly out :mad:
    The effect of the recent hot weather was more than clear. None of them were a "traditional bronze" color but a very dark, almost black, color. Oh well, it was good to have them active again.

2. Headed out myself this morning, fished from about 7.30-10.00 and caught a few smallies and a rockbass, not much in the size department, caught about a 12" smallie on my first cast and thought it was going to be a good morning but things slowed up, ended up with more tackle than what I came with when I found a husky jerk in the rocks and a little starter kit that comes with rods you buy at wally world, jigs, flies, hooks, bobbers etc, not much but the price was right;) I might try some topwater tonight.

3. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Witht he weather changing(Soon) colder nights should turn on the SM and other game fish, hope the fall stays nice and warm before it gets too cold for me to yak fish, I'm a wimp in cold weather, but if fish are biting, I might just have to suck it up!

4. FYI,
    The river smallies have been on fire in the evenings the last 4-5 days.
    Buzzbaits or very fast moving Spooks, fished in the riffles, have been deadly.

5. I might just try it out tonight.

6. StuckAtHome

Thats good info, I love fishing riffles but with the summer heat the big gals shy away most of the day unless awesome cover is close. I've never been a topwater man for SM, might have to give it a try.

7. It almost sounded like you said that you've never been a topwater guy for smallies..........
    Holy sheepshit, dude.
    You should go do that right now.
    Why are you still reading this.......................go!

8. Bust out the piggy bank, pony up and getcha a Sammy 100. Get whatever color you like as the smallies won't give a crap.
    Lately, it's been super duper fast walk the dog/rip it along, and then the slightest pause. Next trun of the handle and it gets smashed.......often.

9. Fished tonight from about 8.30-12.45 and caught smallies, rockbass and gills, kinda slow to start but things picked up around 10.30, used a jitterbug all the time I was there, caught a couple really big rockbass, biggest smallie was probably 14", dang bats are a pain in the but sometimes...swooping around as your casting, kinda made up for the slow action this morning being able to catch a few.

10. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

Now your talking. Although I got skunked on my sammy last night, it sounds like my presentation is off. Looks like I need to speed it up.

11. StuckAtHome

My 3 kids stole my piggy bank.

12. JignPig Guide

JignPig Guide Fishing Guide

You said you caught one on your first cast. That's always been bad luck for me. Most times I catch one on my first cast, I end up having a terrible day. Nowadays I funkify my first cast just to get it over with... then start fishing.

Jig-N-Pig out...

P.S. Sounds like the creek fishing is fun.

13. Speed her up.

14. I have had the same thing happen before, a couple years back I caught 1 on each my first 2 cast then nothing for the next 2hrs, a buddy of mine theorized that the fish had already been feeding when I hit the water and in short I missed the bite?? myself I just chalk it up to some perverse form of Murphys law.

15. When first started in the morning the smallies were busting the baitfish right in the middle of the river. I would drift the the fly down the river on then do short, quick retrieves. As the busting slowed so did the fishing. I switched to casting straight at the bank and immediately starting my retrieve and they started hitting them again. I went from an active feed to an opportunity feed situation.

16. When you are lucky enough to be there when they get on a ball of shad action can be nonstop, I have been lucky enough a couple times, I mainly fish the bank and have had shad come out of the water and land at my feet while running from hungry smallies, I seen a few shad the other morning but not real heavy numbers of them.

17. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

i got a 19 incher last night on a local stream. topwater fast. the fish was in a slow moving pool.got about 7 more all small. im getting a little concerned though, all year i havent seen many fishermen in this stretch but lately am seeing many, every trip. please catch and release.,.,.

18. I guess I should know this already but what is a Sammy 100??? Thanks

19. Spread-Head

Spread-Head Bass R Best

Anyone having any luck with shallow or top water crank baits??? Ive tried both recently and nothing for smallies... However I have not tried any buzz baits...gonna give it a try Sat as the sun sets... let ya know

20. I have had fair success with jitterbugs after dark.