close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smartcast fish finder

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by dday, May 9, 2004.

1. Does anyone use or have any information on the wristwatch smartcast fish finder? I'm thinking that may be a good birthday gift, but wanted some opinions from others!!
    Thanks

DDay

2. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

I've got the wrist model and use it quite a bit. It is a great tool for a bank fisherman. I also use it from my boat when I'm out on the river so I can check to see if my bait is in the right place.

3. I got my dad one of the wrist watch models as a gift. He uses it when he is shore fishing and even uses it a little as a backup on the boat. From what I have seen it is good at detecting depth accurately but not as good at detecting fish. We may not have it set up perfectly for finding fish though since dad mostly uses it to locate proper depth and structure.

DavidWS10: what settings do you use on the finder and have you had much luck with it detecting fish?

Steve

4. DavidWS10

DavidWS10 Bankless Boat Trash

When on the river, I set the sensitivity all the way to max and turn off the alarms. It has helped me locate fish, but I can't say it has helped me catch more.

5. buy it, you'll not regret it

6. Sounds good so far!! I'll be using it for most of the ponds that I fish.

Thanks!! Will have to wait till my bday to get it though.

dday

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I also have one of the wristwatch types. I tried it out the other day and I love it. I also recommend one! Good luck! :)

8. JBJ

JBJ

The reports I have been seeing over the last year or so have been mostly positive. For ponds and other slack water applications it seems to soar. When in flowing current it needs to be deployed down stream.

The only negatives I have heard have been that for the older guys, the watch sized screen is hard to see in direct sunlight. The other thing is about how you can't replace the battery in the "Remote Sonar Sensor". You have to replace it with another after about 400 hours of use.

9. jbj,

when you say it needs to be deployed downstream what do you mean? Not in the fast water? I think it'd be perfect for what i do, but haven't seen one in use yet.

J

10. JBJ

JBJ

You would cast it downstream and reel it in against the current. This way you can stop it where you wish to check out instead of tossing it upstream to have it just float right on by the areas of interest.

I have had guys tell me that they like to let it float downstream following the natural flow and then stopping it when they see things of interest. One gent said he actually located a bass in ambush position where the flow went around a large boulder, then worked the area over until he caught the monster.

11. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

question? They may already have them and iam just to poor to know about it. But if there is the smartcast then why do we still have all these wires on our boats instead of a wireless transducer for the boat. Had to run my transducer wire today was a little pain in the but.

12. howdie all... just got my smartcast saturday and had it out at carriage hill metro park today... and i have to say i dont know why i didnt buy it sooner... its great it helped me find the fish and i ended up catching some 8-10inch crappie.... ohh i have the rf-10 the base until model... and i do have a question for those who have used it awhile... how well does it show fish on the bottom such as cat and carp...

thanks john

13. jbj,

thanks, i figured you could do it just about any way you want.

fish4fun,

the wireless is good, but not as reliable as a wired one. Also the wire sends the power and signal, with a wireless you would have to replace batteries, or get a new transducer like these after so many hours like somebody said.

J