Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing the ruggles reef area yesterday,out of Cranberry Creek marina.My fiance and I did real well on the smallies.We were trolling very slowly(1.5-2.0)I was using a holographic shad pattern shad rap #5,and she was using a #5 fire tiger shad rap.We caught most of the bass in 14'-16' of water a short distance NE of the marina.We probably landed 15 or more,along with uncountable numbers of sheepshead.We tried for several hours to hookup with some walleyes,but that didn't happen.The storms must have scattered them out of that area.It was a shock to see that the lake in that area was clear,I thought it would be coffee and cream.Anyway,the smallmouth fishing around ruggles is still pretty good.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Good to hear someplace is having decent enough weather and water to fish. I think my boat has rust on it from all the rain here in central Ohio. Many tourneys are cancelled, and the water is just too high to chance in most of the resevoirs(O'Shag, Griggs, Delaware). I'm getting cabin fever. Will be fishing a club event up at Erie in a little over a week. I'm not sure where we are launching from, but it may be Vermilion. Isn't Ruggles just north of the marina? I have never fished the Big Pond, and none of the maps I have mulled over has Ruggles on it. I have concluded that I may go into Sandusky Bay, just because I have the most info of that area. Thanks!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Warpath
If you launch at Vermilion,once you cruise into the lake,head west.Ruggles Reef is pretty much right between Huron and Vermilion.The easiest way to get there is to launch at Cranberry Creek Marina.The reef is practically right out in front of the marina,as soon as you head out in the lake,go north until you get into 14' of water,and then head east.All of this area will be right on the reef.At this time,the bass are in the 14'-18' range,and right on the bottom rocks.Trolling cranks that run down to 12'-14',or drifting tubes along the bottom are both good right now.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I appreciate the info very much. Will have to log it into my brain as I am still not sure where we will launch from the 26th and 27th. I probably won't know until Friday the 25th.

I have never trolled before, but I'm guessin' I could figure it out to load the boat with smallies. Does that area get a lot of rough water? I haven't fished Erie before, and I only have a 16' with a 50 horse. And my non-boater partner just cancelled out, so I will be on my own.

I have been concentrating in the Sandusky Bay area, trying to stay off the big water. Any idea how it's been there, and how long of a hop is it to Kelley's Island from Cedar Point?

Thanks again, any help I can give, just ask.

Eric

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Warpath
The Ruggles Reef area is usually a lot calmer than other areas of the lake,probably due to the lesser amount of boat traffic.However,there are days that you don't want to risk it.A good rule of thumb is to check out the wind and waves report before heading up.Log onto lakevision.com,then click camera map,then choose Huron and click,then click the offshore forecast.That site will give you a 5-day forecast for the Huron area of the lake,and even an updated picture of the lake in that area.
Bt the way,I fish the big lake all the time and I fish out of a 16' Starcraft with a 40hp motor.I fish out to around 3 miles or so,and never have had a problem,just be alert of the weather and you'll be fine.I would say it's probably aroung 3 miles or so from Cedar Point out to Kelley's Island.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Will keep all in mind, I appreciate it. I thought it might be as much as 5 or 6 miles out to Kelley's Island, but it looks like I might fish as a non-boater next weekend and fish with a veteran fisherman for safety's sake. Does one need a drift sock to fish the big lake, and what other safety items does one need when fishing the big lake?

Eric

·
Fish now, sleep later
668 Posts
If you go out of the Vermillion River for your tourney, you can go up the river a ways and find largemouth on wood cover if the lake is a blow-out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts