close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smallmouths

Discussion in 'Bass Discussions' started by Stampede, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

How's the smallmouth fishing this time of year.Anybody been doing any?

2. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

Should be slow untill mid-march, although the big-uns will be actively feeding from here on out.

Your best bet is an hour before sunset on a sunny (warmer) day......Wednesday is looking prime :)

3. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

where you fishin man i need to get out and let my line loose. i am just itching for some fishing action and the fact that its smallies just makes it even better. what makes it really great is that you said big un's. best way to cure cabin fever is with a big bruiser smallie on the end of your line:p:B

4. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

What is your goto cold water bait for smallies this time of year. I would guess a tube fished very slow. any other thoughts?????

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

I typically use suspending crank baits or white twister-type jigs. And you need to go slow, but not January slow. I remember a few years back during a warmer day in late Feb (about identical to the conditions were going to have tomorrow) we caught a number of Smallies on twisters below a spillway...Every one of them hit&fought surprisingly hard. It wasn't any of this "so light I could barely feel it" nuuh-uhh, they whopped it!

6. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

where is this said spillway?