Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TeamOGF
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are on vacation this week and I have never had her on Erie yet to fish(other than a Perch Outing). I am thinking of keeping it simple, and trying for some smallmouth. I don't know of any good places that draw fish other than Ruggles Reef as a generality.
Can you guys give us some ideas to go? Anywhere from Vermilion and East to PA is the target area. I would like a couple of destination areas between Vermilion and PA to consider if possible. However if there is a place that right now is THE place to go...... O.K.;)
Is drifting/dragging tubes still the top producer? Is the green/black fleck color still the best? She has never caught a smallie and I hope to see her struggle with a few.;) :D P.M.'s welcome!
Thursday is likely to be the day. Maybe we will see someone up there.

Thanks, Rumi

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Rumi,tubes Colors Good Are Watermelon And Green Flake...you Have To Find Rocks Off Shore And Drift Tubes Over Them..best Bet I Found Is Use Braided Line..you Can Feel The Rocks Better That Way..if I Would Go Now I Would Try Conneaut Or Presque Isle...the Fish Are Bigger Up That Way...find Some Structure Anywhere From 20 To 40 Ft. And Smallies Will Be There...if There Is A Lot Of Wind You Should Put A Driftsock Out To Slow You Down..if No Wind Use Your Trolling Motor..im No Pro But Thats A Start

·
Premium Member
10,886 Posts
Rumi,

My last smallmouth trip was almost 3 weeks ago. I took my mother to Conneaut and fished east of the breakwalls in 15-20 fow. We did OK considering the weather and my broken outboard, but it was not fast and furious.

I don't have a clue what they are doing now in that area or any other area for that matter. I have fished the Vermilion area for walleye at least 3 times in the last month and caught zero smallmouth in areas that were full of smallmouth 6 weeks ago.

I would beleve that there are still smallmouth to be caught in that area, but maybe deeper, I don't really know, I don't ever fish for them this time of year.

Tubes are still a mainstay for catching smallies on Erie, but as a backup pickup a few dozen golden shiners from Grand River Tackle. If you can't catch them on a golden shiner or a goby...opps, forget I said that, goby's are illegal to fish with, a tube will be really tough.

Sorry I can't help you more.
Kim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
If you want smallies give me a call on my cell tomorrow.330-353-6021. I can give you a few locations and rigs to try. I would never go bass fishing without golden shiners on a carolina rig.

Scott

·
Registered
871 Posts
if you want to head up to michigan try brest bay. i fished in the tournament there 2 weeks ago and we did pretty well. i should have had my limit but i lost one on the jump. if i landed it i would've probablly won it or came in top 3. it was slow all morning but picked up once the weather lifted and the sun came out. landed 3 in 2 drifts all in the last hour of the tournament. almost everyone in the tourny had a limit and some real nice fish. my best was 3.5 pounds. all were on tubes, avacado and gobie colors.

·
TeamOGF
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all of your responses and help, both in this thread and p.m.'s. You have really given me a great opportunity to do my best for my wife. I have never been able to give her a good fishing trip for any kind of fish. I'm just simply not very knowledgeable about fishing yet.
But you guys, and your willingness to help me, and trust me, with your most valuable information is truly impressive. I am grateful to you for all of your help.
Now if the weather doesn't turn ....

In Your Debt,
- Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts