close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smallmouth Stats

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Hellgramite, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I hear a lot about guys catching 4-5 lb. smallmouths. A fish of that size is a real trophy! I have a good idea about the length and age of a smallie that large. I would like to know what others think.

2. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

It really depends on the lake you are talkin about.
    A 5lber in Dale Hollow may be 4 years old with a few mind
    winters under his belt but a 5lber in pymi or piedmont maybe 7-8
    years old. Diet and length of ''growing season'' has as much to
    do with it as anything.

3. Never been able to judge weight. I just do measurements. Still looking for a good way to way fish while wade fishing.

4. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

length x girthx2 divide by 800= weight
    smallies only

5. I am talking about rivers and streams in SW Ohio and Central Indiana.

6. i would say in general fish tend to be smaller in creek or river type systems. a 4-5 lb smallie in most of ohios rivers is easily 10 yrs. if not older. but there are a lot of environmental factors that play into growth rates. a 4-5lb smallie is a huge fish for a average size river. definate trophy fish.
    for someone wanting to weigh fish in the field, the outdoors stores have quite a few small, light,and accurate scales you can easily carry with you.

7. At one of our X-Series events on Lake Erie we had Travis Hartman, a fisheries biologist for DNR and Lake Erie, did some studies on the smallmouth that were caught.

Travis collected otoliths (for a definition click here: http://web.uvic.ca/~ktelmer/fishoto.html) from a majority of the smallmouth caught on the tournament day. There were 268 smallmouth caught that day with an average weight of 3.14lbs per fish. There were quite a few 5's and numerous 4's.

So far he's given us some very interesting information with more to follow! Here is what he has said so far:

The ages of the fish ranged from 3 to 17 years old, with most of the fish being from 6 (1998 year class) to 11 (1993 year class) years old. More information will follow in the future about the sizes, age, diet and sex of the fish sampled.

8. In general, a 4-5 lb. river smallmouth in this neck of the woods will be 10-12+ years old and be approx. 20-22" long. With the perils a smallie must face almost on a daily basis, one must wonder how even a few survive to reach this size. Hopefully, everyone is practicing catch and release.