Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely post pics on here but last weekend was special... found a magic spot that not only produced 15+lbs of largemouth but also put out 20lbs of smallies... 30 bass caught in less then 1.5 hours and that includes time to stop fishing, snap pictures and text them to my dad.... totally expect this spot to pay off over and over and over again so don't ask....

and one donkey largemouth frogging the pads... (did nothing but largemouth fishing the day before, this was the biggest but best 5 was easily 17lbs... lake erie is certainly special...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
na... I would have liked to but my schedule and finances didn't allow me to fish the southerns and the northerns... got a few things working that may allow me to fish both next season but not sure if it will pan out....

instead, ill be helping a friend of mine from Michigan... he finished 6th the last time they were at erie two years ago...

hope he wins it... kyle kempkers...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my brother is the guy without glasses on... I told him about this spot before we went up and that usually means doom for me... first time I think ive ever underestimated a spot...

he was impressed... he broke his personal best for a smallie 3 times in 3 consecutive casts... it was truly epic...

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always here stories from my dad how Erie is probably the best bass fishery in Ohio and this just shows, nice fish! What bait were you using?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
your dad is right,,, not only that but its one of the best fisheries in the world....

20lbs of smallies is not uncommon by any stretch on erie but this time of year, in ohio waters, to me that makes it a little more special..

warrior baits finesse worms... on a shakeyhead... best finesse worm on earth... they float and it makes a world of difference...

thanks jignpig.....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
LOTP......... nice fish.... I really need to get up to Erie for some of that action. Now I have a question.... I know you're on Warriors Pro Staff and I assume you have thrown their swimming jigs. My question........ is there a trick to getting it to swim upright all the time? I use a Warrior Craw on them for a trailer and I cannot get them to swim up right consistently? I was thinking of adding a belly weight on the hook shank, but was hoping there might be another way. Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I haven't had that problem with them but I make a few modifications immediately before I ever make the first cast... mainly, I trim the weed guard down dramatically, its really thick to start with... I also don't use typical swim jig trailers.... the standard zoom superchunk jr style is what I normally use, it gives off a far more sublte swimming action... I also take a finesse worm and trim off about an inch from the head... I take that and shove it all the way onto the hook, it keeps the trailer from sliding up the hook and it also makes the jig fall slower when you kill it...

not sure if those things are what keeps it swimming straight... but I haven't had any issues

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I haven't had that problem with them but I make a few modifications immediately before I ever make the first cast... mainly, I trim the weed guard down dramatically, its really thick to start with... I also don't use typical swim jig trailers.... the standard zoom superchunk jr style is what I normally use, it gives off a far more sublte swimming action... I also take a finesse worm and trim off about an inch from the head... I take that and shove it all the way onto the hook, it keeps the trailer from sliding up the hook and it also makes the jig fall slower when you kill it...

not sure if those things are what keeps it swimming straight... but I haven't had any issues
I'll have to give your ideas a try. Maybe the torque from the swimming legs is causing it to list to one side. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,893 Posts
nice fish steven!!

i have a trip to dunkirk coming up very soon>>> spooning giants :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lotp, where did you catch them, I need exact gps location. Also what were you throwing. Can you also tell me what time of day, current weather conditons and water clarity....

Sarcasm ,) really nice fish! Good to see a personal best broke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lotp, where did you catch them, I need exact gps location. Also what were you throwing. Can you also tell me what time of day, current weather conditons and water clarity....

Sarcasm ,) really nice fish! Good to see a personal best broke.

its an awesome spot.... it might be the best spot ive ever found on any body of water.... im pretty sure I could take a girl to it and she would be able to catch a limit off it... A GIRL...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haha I don't normally put on lipstick or heels but for fish like that I guess I could make an exception.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts