Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to start a debate here. Does anyone keep Smallmouth on Erie? I know they are still not in season right now,but will be in soon. I have been looking for gamefish that I can bake lately. I have always liked bass fried, but have never tried it any other way, and I am avoiding fried food. It seems like most of the guys that fish out there let the bass go and are even a little bit protective of them.

Is it because they just dont taste good, or there arent enough of them?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I DO NOT keep any bass, I tried them once in Canada and I think they taste like S---. Plus they are so much fun to catch and a renewable resource why eat them. If you want eaters catch perch, it's easy, cheap and a lot of fun. In my humble opinion bass are a sport fish and should be returned to the water with as little harm as possible.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ducknut~
I have eaten smallies from the big lake but personally, I prefer to eat perch & walleye. The meat on a smallie is a bit darker and "fishier" tasting and not to my liking. Also, just an FYI... smallies on Lake Erie are out of season from May 1st to June 25th. There is also a 14" size limit.
Good luck this season,
eyeangler

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I ate some in Minnesota last year and when you eat them right next to lake trout and walleye they are not nearly as good, not bad just not as good.

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
I have baked perch, walleye, and crappie using Shore Lunch oven style batter. It is a pretty good alternative to frying. If you just can't stand ANY bones in your fish, make sure you remove them ALL because baking doesn't seem to soften them up like frying does.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
A lot of people keep smallmouth to eat. I don't keep any because I know that they just don't taste that great and their's PLENTY of good tasteing perch and walleye available anytime for the taking.

Kim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts