Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished for bass in my life....strictly catfish. I have a nice little g3 jet boat and I can get to some good stretches of water ie where darby,deer creek, and salt creek come into the scioto, and everywhere in between.

Where do I start? Is there a go to lure? I really don't want to sink a bunch of money into tackle. Mainly because I won't bass fish much. I just look at all the smallmouth guys on here are catching and would like to give it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
207 Posts
My go to lures are bitsy tubes in green pumpkin Texas rigged, some craw color crankbaits (rebel makes the best IMO), Big Joshys work great as well. That's all I throw and have produced well for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you want an incredible smallie bait... check out the Sebile Magic Swimmer 95. It's the 3.5" slow sink version. I think they have it on Tackle Warehouse for around 13.99 but its well worth the price. Buy 2 of the "Natural shiner" color patterns. The most realistic swimming action I've ever seen worked slow or fast. Swim it really slow or lift and drop and it will make the pickiest smallmouth bite.

*Posted from Tropic Star Lodge, Panama :D

·
deleted
3,891 Posts
In the mid-summer I just fish spinnerbaits and weedless jig/creature baits. Spinnerbaits are for fishing through the cover and structure, and jig/pig is for fishing in the cover and structure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have never fished for bass in my life....strictly catfish. I have a nice little g3 jet boat and I can get to some good stretches of water ie where darby,deer creek, and salt creek come into the scioto, and everywhere in between.

Where do I start? Is there a go to lure? I really don't want to sink a bunch of money into tackle. Mainly because I won't bass fish much. I just look at all the smallmouth guys on here are catching and would like to give it a try.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Fellow Jet Boater:

I regularly fish the areas that you mentioned, except for salt creek. We fish from higby road to darby. when the river is low concetrate your fishing at the tail waters of any rocky shoal (not gravel) using helgramites. just above Kmart you will find a nice stretch of rocky rapids.........fish at the bottom and/or wade the rapids. Use helgramites, or minnows on a medium hook with a split shot. We catch nice fish right there.

Also, wade up deer creek using helgramites.

When the river is stained, fish the confluences of any tributary with chartruse crank baits or vibes....cast right into the mix of stained and clear waters.

If you see a large jet boat it will be me.....I think I'm the only one beside you. Will be glad to see someone else use that stretch.

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
Get a spinnerbait, usually white, and throw it at trees, down or roots, shadeside. Any structure actually. Easy and done. Keep it simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts