smallmouth for 6 year old

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by castmaster00, Jul 28, 2008.

1. castmaster00

castmaster00 very avid fisherman

i was wondering if anyone knew of where my little brother and sister can catch the smallmouth bug. we live in akron and my parents dont want to drive far where can we go?

2. Cuyahoga river is ur best bet man. Tubes or live baitfish in the holes

3. castmaster00

what do you mean holes ? i am new to river fishing as well. i have caught a couple of 15 in fish but that was by luck when the grand flooded by the harpersfield bridge. all i know is to fish slack water.

4. crg

crg multi-species angler

definitly hit up the cuyahoga since your in akron. go to any of the metro parks below the gorge. most crawfish patterns will work. i have been hammering them in the cuyahoga from above kent to below the gorge and into penninsula. i would bring some minnow imitations as well, i hav noticed them hitting less on craws and more to minnows as there is more forage in the river for them to eat. the river is deeper up in the kent area and more riffles and pocket water below the gorge. most fish are about 10in with the occasional 15+.

5. castmaster00

what parks specifically? i am not familiar with the hoga.

6. I would stick with Cascade Valley on Cuyahoga Street or the park in Peninsula just off Rt303. They have good access for 6 year olds. I went by yesterday and the river was blown out so I would suggest waiting for a few days without rain before I even tried it.

Scott

7. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

My son, now 7 caught 3 smallies in one day fishing just off the causeway at Berlin either 2 or 3 yrs ago. So he was either 4 or 5 and still talks about it. Minnow under a bobber while he "played" on shore!! I hooked them for him, but if you ask him, he'll tell you HE caught them, and I don't say a bit different!